SEIU Local 1000 is seeking an Area Coordinator in Fresno, CA. This position is a unique opportunity to lead staff and member teams in a dynamic and active region of California. We are looking for an experienced leader who has trained, directed and led organizers and members, a tireless advocate for the rank-and-file, and someone who excels at both strategy and tactics. If you meet these qualifications, please apply. The ideal candidate will be experienced in supervising a team of dedicated union organizers and members, be creative in mobilizing members, and expert at running campaigns.
SEIU Local 1000 is a cutting-edge labor union that represents 96,000 state employees in 9 bargaining units throughout the State of California. We negotiate and enforce a labor contract that ensures good working conditions, fair wages and secure health care and retirement benefits.
Duties and responsibilities:
Planning and Implementation
- Plan and implement worksite campaigns.
- Make strategic decisions around immediate and emerging personnel and workplace issues.
- Coordinate and/or oversee large scale actions involving members.
- Effectively manages time, plans, schedules, prioritizes, coordinates resources, eliminates roadblocks, and meets deadlines.
- Creative at managing accountability and expectations for members.
- Able to work long, irregular hours and travel frequently.
Leadership Development and Supervision
- Trains, develops and directs activities of staff organizers and members.
- Supervises staff in locations throughout the regional area.
- Provides coaching and development support to staff organizers and members on their team.
- Manages workplace and team dynamics with confidence and experience.
- Committed to achieving goals for staff and members and provides development opportunities in cooperation with the developmental system of Local 1000.
- Actively contributes to their peer team.
- Committed to building a strong union for state workers in California.
- Provides equitable and inclusive leadership.
- Develops trust of staff and members.
- Effectively maneuvers through complex situations, anticipates issues, and proceeds methodically.
- Recognizes organizational dynamics and is sensitive to how staff and members function within the organization.
- Committed to and actively works to continuously improve themselves.
Qualifications and Experience:
- 3 years experience in large organizing campaigns.
- 2 years experience leading or supervising staff, assignments, projects and timelines.
- Experience building teams, developing diverse individuals, and strategic planning ability.
- Advanced organizational skills.
- Experience with collective bargaining, representation and database management preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport and credibility with diverse demographic groups, as well as with professional, technical, administrative and service workers.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Ability to manage competing deadlines.
- Occasional overnight travel required.
- Valid driver's license, car and insurance.
Cover letters should describe your qualifications, experience and career goals, as well as a brief description of why you want to work to realize Local 1000’s vision for building a strong union.
Submit your application here:
SEIU is committed to building a diverse workforce. We offer excellent benefits, including paid health benefits for employee and family, liberal paid time off and competitive salary. All applicants must be able to furnish proof of authorization to work in the United States.
Minimum Education Required