Details: $16.00- $17.00 DOE
1609 19th Ave
The Overnight Shelter Staff will oversee the overnight operations of Peace for the Streets by Kids from the Street (PSKS) Young Adult Shelter. This is an overnight shift position (9:00 pm to 8:30am); some holidays and/or weekends included. Overnight Shelter Staff must maintain the security and confidentiality needed for this type of specialized program dealing with a specialized population. The Overnight Shelter Staff must be available to intervene in conflict or crisis situations and is responsible for maintaining documentation and ensuring the smooth operation of the shelter during the assigned hours. Overnight Shelter Staff will work with other staff and volunteers to create a supportive community, helping to meet the needs of each participant (Px).
RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
Participant Concerns: Respond to Px questions and needs. Facilitate the communication of Px needs to Program Manager, as well as keep a nightly log of activities. Co-facilitate evening meetings; uphold community agreements, rights, and responsibilities.
Crisis and Conflict Resolution: Maintain a safe environment for Px by assessing and responding to Px crisis and/or conflicts. This involves utilizing an anti-oppressive lens to analyze situations and intervene when oppressive behavior is seen. De-escalate and support shelter staff in managing crisis situations with Px. Document conflicts, communicate transparently and responsibly with PSKS staff regarding conflict and/or barred Px.
Safety and Security: Assess and manage emergencies according to PSKS’s emergency protocol. Identify appropriate responses to emergency protocol triggers. Identify when external assistance is needed and contact appropriate party (i.e. Program Manager, Case Manager, Medical Assistance, etc.). Monitor the safety and security of PSKS, including the neighboring organizations, and other residents of the PSKS building. Participate in the ongoing development of shelter safety and emergency protocols.
Administrative Services Support: Setting up the shelter each night and packing up each morning in a timely manner. Ensuring HMIS paperwork are completed. Sending daily report and Px list each morning. Contribution to shelter policy and protocol as necessary. Attend required meetings as assigned by the Program Manager.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- At least one year experience working with homeless youth and/or young adults or in a social service setting; prior experience working with high-risk youth preferred.
- Knowledge of and ability to work with and validate houseless youth with intersecting marginalized identities including, but not limited to, youth of color, differently abled, neuro-divergent, or LGBTQ youth, and/or youth who are active or recovering alcoholics and addicts.
- Calm, supportive, reliable, and ability to work with people from lower income populations.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and nonverbal.
- Ability and willingness to intervene in and resolve Px disputes with other shelter staff, and/or with other Px.
- Knowledge of and experience with de-escalation techniques, crisis-intervention, and conflict-resolution techniques.
- Ability to maintain a positive, supportive, cooperative, and professional attitude at shelter and in interactions with other volunteers, staff, and PSKS participants.
Job Type: Part-time
Minimum Education Required