SCHEDULE: 40 hours, Monday – Friday, 8:30AM- 5:00PM, with early mornings, late afternoons or some weekends based upon program needs.
Pine Street Inn, New England’s largest homelessness services agency, is seeking a Recruiter to join its team of three recruitment professionals. The Recruiter will manage a workload of approximately 30 entry-level, supervisory, and specialized roles, and will work as a coach and partner to hiring managers in selecting and retaining employees who are motivated to work in a mission-driven agency.
The Recruiter will work with the recruiting team in the Human Resources department to develop overall recruiting strategies and implement a successful recruitment plan to manage the hiring process at Pine Street Inn. The Recruiter will source and attract candidates though an Applicant Tracking System (ATS), social media, employee referrals, outside networking groups, and other sources as identified. The incumbent will screen, interview and assess potential candidates for program needs.
The Recruiter will be responsible for consulting with hiring managers to understand their recruitment needs, develop sourcing strategies, pre-screening candidates to assess their qualifications utilizing behavioral based interviewing, and monitoring requisition status to ensure an efficient recruitment process. The Recruiter will ensure hiring managers are oriented to hiring procedures, paperwork, and technical requirements of using the Applicant Tracking System.
The Recruiter will work with hiring managers and the Director of Employment and Workforce Planning to identify areas where changes in job duties, pay, schedule, or other working conditions may beneficially impact candidate sourcing and employee retention.
The Recruiter will escalate issues with their requisitions and/or hiring managers to the Director for consultation, problem-solving, and planning.
- Associate’s Degree plus 3-5 years’ experience in a recruiting function, or Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of two (2) years of direct recruitment experience
- Excellent computer, communication, and writing skills, including strong Excel and Word skills, as well as ability to use Adobe products
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong time management and project management skills
- Must have HRIS experience,strong data analysis, and tracking skills
- Experience using an online application tracking system
- Ability to travel as needed
- Ability to sit for long periods of time, heavy use of computers and phones
- Ability to access different building locations, equipment, mailboxes and perform manual filing
- Ability to walk up stairs, bend, stoop, and stretch
- Ability to negotiate and interact with vendors, agencies, institutions, etc.
- Ability to develop new recruiting resources and relationships
- Ability to learn and adapt to new technologies and tools
- Ability to take a strategic approach to recruitment. Very high level of organizational skills, and attention to key needs and timelines
- Ability to manage and follow through with multiple projects and priorities simultaneously
- Ability to work with frequent interruption, while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work in a remote work environment with attention to deadlines and reporting
- Ability to create tracking documents and processes for managing work
- Excellent interpersonal skills: to interact and build positive relationships with a wide range of applicants, employees, managers and outside agencies
- Must function as a team player in the Human Resources Department and all other areas of Pine Street Inn
- Ability to coach and train PSI staff in all aspects of the recruiting and hiring function
- Ability to understand and update practices in response to changing policy and legal requirements
- Ability to coach and train PSI staff in all aspects of applying for promotions/transfers, including process reviews, resume reviews on request, and familiarizing applicants with job description and work conditions
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding program, staffing, or other strategic changes
- Ability to generate written content for internal and external use with minimal editing needs
- Judgement to escalate or troubleshoot barriers to department goals
- Judgment to identify and escalate issues impacting hireability of candidates or other issues arising during hiring process
- Human Resources Management training or Certification
- Human Resources experience in a non-profit setting
- Familiarity with state and federal fair hiring laws and regulations
- Experience with paperless onboarding
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- With the Director and the Senior Recruiter, develop and implement a recruitment plan to attract well-qualified, diverse staff (internally and externally). Identify areas for implementing departmental and organization-wide succession planning. Acquaint self with programs and departments’ operations and needs to better support hiring.
- Manage a caseload of 25-30 requisitions and follow up with all applicants and hiring managers on a timely basis.
- Assist with implementing and maintaining hiring policies and procedures for all supervisory staff.
- Review and ensure new requisitions and all job descriptions meet current PSI expectations and policies, including pay policies, and escalate questions or significant variations to Director of Employment
- With hiring managers, plan process for initial screening of applicant pools, as well as conduct phone screens or interviews. Screen applicants utilizing screening tools to appropriately match applicants to open positions.
- Recommend appropriate recruitment methods to hiring supervisors. Work creatively with programs/departments to create recruitment plans and identify resources for staffing needs.
- (custom screening tools, behavioral interviewing questions, writing samples, computer testing, group interviews and onsite recruiting events, scheduling changes, pay issues, adjustments to job descriptions).
- Provide training on recruitment and interviewing as part of the supervisory training offered at Pine Street Inn, in groups and on a 1:1 basis, including guidance on employment laws, affirmative action processes, and fair hiring practices.
- In conjunction with HR, plan, develop, modify and implement PSI’s affirmative action policies and procedures and the affirmative action plan to assure a diverse and inclusive applicant pool.
- Conduct employee orientation with other HR staff on a rotating basis.
- Manage all candidates and hiring managers through onboarding and orientation, to ensure timely and successful hire.
- Outreach to and network wotj a wide range of sources to assist in attracting potential candidates for employment at Pine Street Inn (temp agencies, colleges, unemployment offices and training programs, online hiring platforms), and work with hiring managers to identify recruitment sources.
- Coordinate on-site recruitment events for programs/departments. Create newspaper ads, social media, and email communications to attract/invite applicants to recruiting events. Work with hiring supervisors to interview applicants and provide timely feedback on application status.
- Attend off site recruitment events and attract new talent for open positions. Provide information to job seekers on current openings, volunteer work, future opportunities and organizational information.
Handle the administrative operations of recruitment and the hiring process:
- Applicant paperwork including application, new hire paperwork, screening and interviewing notes, references, CORI paperwork and driving records
- Follow up on outstanding paperwork with applicants and hiring supervisors
- Submit driving records for review and provide follow to hiring supervisors and applicants
- Provide verbal and written employment offers to candidates and schedule for New Employee Orientation. Negotiate salaries as necessary.
- Write offer letters, utilize ATS and/or electronic onboarding tool to save and access all hiring paperwork
- Shepherd new hires and hiring managers through onboarding and orientation expectations
- Maintain the personnel requisition process. Ensure personnel requisitions are submitted to replace staff in a timely manner. Review requisition information and submit for approvals. Follow up with hiring supervisors on requisition information as needed. Verify compensation, retention bonuses, and other matters impacting compensation. Address significant variances with Director.
- Monitor and evaluate hiring and turnover data, in conjunction with Director and with HR Employee Relations team.
- Facilitate fair employment practices in all aspects of hiring process.
- Conduct professional reference checks through computer-based Skill Survey tool, or through phone reference checks as needed to ensure timely turnaround on applications. Maintain the reference process to ensure timely communication with candidates and hiring supervisors. Consult with hiring managers with regard to results of reference checks, and made recommendations for hire as needed.
- Track and account for all expenditures related to advertising and recruiting expenditures, working with the Director regarding large expenditures. Update department budget tracking documents and submit receipts to Director.
- Provide accurate information about employment and recruiting policies and procedures, and engage in positive and professional relations with all applicants, employees and representatives of outside agencies.
- Manage internal applicants, including verifying eligibility, initial outreach to candidate and explanation of hiring process, resume feedback if requested, follow-up with hiring managers around interviewing and feedback. Verify current rate of internal applicant and advise hiring manager during interviewing process to address potential budgetary mismatches with current candidate pay.
- Respond to questions from employees and managers about employment related policies/procedures, referring staff to other HR team members as appropriate.
- Confer with HR employee relations team to address pending vacancies due to corrective action, resignation, leaves of absence, or other staffing issues.
- Coordinate with employees and/or hiring managers around employees’ applications for relief or other positions in lieu of termination to ensure timelines are met
- Coordinate with HRIS Assistant and/or Receptionist to ensure new postings are posted and advertised in accordance with team procedures, conferring with hiring managers regarding advertising sources, and ensuring HR policies regarding posting timelines and deadlines are being enforced. Proofread and update job requisitions once posted.
Temporary and Permanent Staffing Agencies:
- Work with staffing agencies on new and existing contracts to ensure terms are up to date, and negotiate new terms in consultation with the Director to ensure good financial stewardship practices.
- Ensure hiring managers have confirmed budget for placement fees and/or billing rates prior to placing temporary and/or permanent staff
- Ensure staffing agencies are in compliance with team CORI and reference check procedures
- Review and approve staffing agency invoices.
- Submit invoices to accounts payable for processing in a timely manner.
- Work with staffing agencies, hiring managers, and accounts payable on outstanding invoices and discrepancies. Maintain staffing agency Certificate of Insurance and contracts.
- Partner with Communications department to update/add recruiting content to Pine Street Inn social media pages.
- Work cooperatively to resolve department issues to maintain quality human resources procedures, systems, and teamwork.
- Participate actively in regular HR staff meetings.
- Assist with planning employee events as needed.
- Assist all members of the HR department with administrative and project support as requested by the HR Director.
- Utilizes supervision to address regular workload, special projects, and discuss training and career development needs.
- Seeks out training opportunities and applies knowledge to improve personal and team competencies.
- Keeps abreast of regional and local news and trends impacting employment market.
- Additional duties as assigned, including during public health or other emergencies.
Applicant Tracking System (ATS):
- Review job applications and manage the hiring process. Review resumes and credentials for applicability of skills and match qualified applicants to current job openings utilizing job descriptions and screening tools through Applicant Tracking System.
- Track and manage candidate’s workflow and communicate with candidates and hiring supervisors through the ATS.
- Work within ATS to screen and forward qualified applicants to departments/programs for review and screening applicants as requested by hiring supervisor.
- Develop pipelines of talent for future opportunities within the organization.
- Create and review applicant flow and requisition reports for Program Directors and hiring supervisors, convening in-person or telephone meetings to ensure regular review as needed for high-turnover departments or high-priority roles.
- Provide training to users in proper functions of ATS (reviewing resumes, communication with Recruiter and applicants and updating applicant workflow status).
- Utilize reporting and dashboard functions in ATS to manage daily and weekly workload, generate candidate and requisition reports to hiring managers, and generate weekly requisition reports to the Director of Employment as part of weekly supervision
GENERAL COMPETENCIES TO BE EXERCISED:
Analytic Thinking : Analyzes and synthesizes information to understand issues, identify options, and support sound decision making. Demonstrates curiosity, digging for information below the surface. Gets more complete and accurate information by checking multiple sources. Applies broad analysis. Integrates information from diverse sources, often involving large amounts of information. Thinks several steps ahead in deciding on best course of action, anticipating likely outcomes. Considers fair hiring practices and other laws and regulations impacting Human Resources department and adapts practices to ensure compliance.
Attention to Detail: Works in a conscientious, consistent and thorough manner. Demonstrates concern for thoroughness and accuracy.- Identifies multiple sources/approaches of information to ensure that details are addressed. Reviews work documentation for accuracy and thoroughness. Follows up to ensure tasks are completed and commitments are met by others. Verifies that work has been done according to procedures and standards.
Project Management: Manages well defined projects. Assumes personal responsibility for specific, straightforward components of larger projects. Takes personal responsibility, with guidance, for small, straightforward projects, involving coordination with others. Understands the importance of reporting quality information on the project.
Problem Solving: Identifies and solves problems. Identifies alternate solutions, considering applicable precedents. Identifies optimal solutions based on weighing the advantages and disadvantages of alternative approaches. After implementation, evaluates the effectiveness and efficiency of solutions.