Details: Generous hourly rate commensurate with experience
This position is based in our downtown New York office and the schedule will be 2 days per week for an open-ended term. We can be somewhat flexible with days/hours! Primary responsibilities will be Accounts Payable and support for other accounting projects as needed.
Reports to: Accounting & Operations Manager
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Receiving payment requests and processing checks, wires and other payment activity (ACH debits) in USD and other currencies
- Vetting required electronic back-up documentation for AP system storage
- Entering credit card expenses, scanning receipts and checking coding
- Supporting reconciliation of grant payments with the Grants Management system
- Teaching new staff AP processes and policies
- Reviewing statements of activity (banking and credit card) for reconciling payments
- Vendor maintenance, including management of records needed for regulatory purposes (W-9s, contracts)
- 1099 preparation and 1042 filings
- Contributing to the evaluation, streamlining and understanding of accounting workflows.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum accounting experience of 2 years in a non-profit environment.
- Job history must reflect the following:
- Accountability for data entry, A/P and vendor management,
- Ability to deliver on diverse projects and assigned tasks, and to work under deadlines,
- Sharp focus on accuracy and attention to detail (this will be verified in reference checks),
- Intermediate skill level in Excel and experience in at least two accounting systems,
- Strong communications skills, written and verbal,
- Solid time management skills,
- Familiarity using cloud-based platforms like payroll, expense reporting and banking in an accounting environment is ideal,
- Proactive communicator - very comfortable asking questions or seeking clarification in the interest of doing quality work, and keeping people updated on the status of tasks,
- Experience with Intacct a huge plus.
- Other relevant experience candidates could bring to the role - reconciliation and/or analysis, foreign currency exposure, financial reporting or payroll duties, budgeting, audit-related tasks, knowledge of working in a small-team environment with offices and vendors in other countries, familiarity with foundations and grantmaking.
· Appetite to get the job done and improve how we do it.
· Ethical and principled – honest, solid judgment and discretion, self-aware, and quick to offer help.
· Commitment to being in a service role and supporting a greater mission.
HOW TO APPLY
Email cover note or letter and resume to: email@example.com
Please no phone calls or follow-up - we will contact applicants who meet the experience and qualifications needed. The interview process may include some testing.
Minimum Education Required