Senior Director, Academic Programs, Professional Development, and Congressional Fellowship Program
- Job posted by American Political Science Association
Details: Commensurate with experience
AMERICAN POLITICAL SCIENCE ASSOCIATION (APSA)
POSITION TITLE: Senior Director, Academic Programs, Professional Development, and Congressional Fellowship Program
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE: Advanced degree in political science or other social science; professional experiences in an academic setting; experience within or related to U.S. Congress
The Senior Director is a member of the senior management team at APSA, working with APSA leadership on the overall strategic direction of the Association. The incumbent leads the Congressional Fellowship Program, a highly selective, nonpartisan program for mid-career professionals that sends 30-40 individuals a year to serve placements on Capitol Hill. In addition, the Senior Director provides oversight and leadership for a broad portfolio of programs including departmental services, professional development, teaching and learning, advocacy, and public engagement. The position is a unique opportunity to directly contribute to the continued success and development of multiple APSA programs and play a leadership role within the association.
The Senior Director supervises two direct reports.
Leadership and Strategy
· Works with the APSA senior team to develop programs to support the APSA membership and policies to support a staff of approximately 28 employees, working with diverse stakeholders to lead overall strategic direction of the Association.
· Serves, with other members of the senior team, as a liaison to the APSA Council, effectively communicating and presenting issues at council and committee meetings and other fora.
Congressional Fellowship Program
· Directs the 10-month program for 30-40 fellows, recruiting and arranging selection of fellows directly funded by APSA and liaising with outside sponsor organizations.
· Organizes yearly orientation and other programming for the fellows, and develops new programs and activities to support the program.
· Supports fellows in securing fellowship placements in the legislative or executive branches and liaises with government offices supporting fellows.
· Develops materials to publicize the program and represents the program to outside groups and sponsors.
· Organizes events and develops materials for the Congressional Fellowship Program alumni community.
· Reports to and liaises with the APSA Congressional Fellowship Program Advisory Committee and APSA Council on various aspects of the program, and organizes the annual Advisory Committee meeting.
· Collaborates with the APSA Finance and Development teams to oversee the fellowship endowment, operating costs, and budget of the program, and to raise external funding for the program.
Academic and Professional Development
· Supervises the associate director for academic and professional development, who leads and manages three main areas of the Association’s work: teaching and learning, professional development, and departmental services.
· Oversees and consults with the associate director on the implementation and strategic development of programs within these areas, including the associate director’s work in:
· leading and expanding teaching and learning programming and resources, including the APSA Teaching and Learning Conference, teaching workshops at the APSA Centennial Center, APSA on-line resources, and workshops at regional meetings;
· leading and expanding professional development programming and resources especially for graduate students and early career scholars;
· leading and expanding programming to serve political science departments and department chairs;
· collaborating with and supporting APSA committees.
Advocacy and Public Engagement
· Supervises the coordinator for government relations and public engagement, overseeing and supervising the coordinator in these areas, including the coordinator’s work in:
· overseeing advocacy and other government relations events at the annual meeting and other political science association meetings;
· activating and involving members on grassroots advocacy efforts;
· representing APSA interests through work with other associations and organizations;
· representing the interests of APSA through work with Congress and other policy making bodies;
· overseeing the production of timely updates to APSA members through association newsletter, social media and other forms of communication;
· developing resources and programs to increase public understanding and public engagement with political science research and scholars;
· developing materials for APSA members for translating academic scholarship to public scholarship, as well as overseeing staff in these tasks, and managing initiatives such as the APSA Experts Database;
· collaborating with and supporting the APSA Council Policy Committee on Public Engagement;
· evaluating these programs and writing reports for the Executive Director and APSA Council.
· Other work as assigned
· Advanced degree in political science or related other social science discipline, Ph.D. preferred;
· Experience working on Capitol Hill or liaising with members of Congress and their staff;
· Familiarity with current events and issues facing higher education, the social sciences, and the discipline of political science;
· Strong analytical and public speaking skills and ability to write clearly and concisely;
· Excellent organizational skills with high attention to detail and adherence to deadlines;
· Adaptability and ability to work in a fast-paced team environment;
· Superb collaboration skills to work with colleagues across departments at APSA to meet shared goals;
· Sound judgment and initiative related to appropriate and independent action and problem-solving;
· Ability to maintain confidentiality while working on sensitive tasks; and,
· Experience with academic program administration and administrative responsibilities.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To be considered, submit a CV with a cover letter indicating how your experience and skills align with the description and the essential skills required of the position to APSA at email@example.com. Consideration of applications will begin on March 19 and continue until the position is filled.