Details: Commensurate with experience
540 President Street
Our mission is to encourage the exploration of endless possibility through the power of writing. To empower students with the skills to write their own paths forward, undefined by circumstance. To support new and exciting approaches to writing and inspire student engagement. And to foster generations of creative writers and thinkers, who together will define a better future.
The Development Director is responsible for visioning, designing and executing a comprehensive fundraising strategy to support the growth and advancement of the organization. Reporting to and working closely with the Executive Director, Development staff and Board members, the Development Director oversees all aspects of fundraising and communications that contribute to goals for revenue. This is an ideal opportunity for an individual looking to take the next step in their fundraising career.
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Development staff, interns
Hours: Mon-Friday, 9:30am-5:30pm (flex), with some nights and weekends
- Work with ED to develop a comprehensive fundraising plan that advances resource development goals in 826NYC’s strategic plan.
- Expand major donor program, with the goal of broadening the donor base through prospect identification, cultivation, and stewardship.
- Develop strong relationships with New York-based businesses/corporations through sponsorships and group volunteerism.
- Direct the research, writing, and submitting of grant proposals on a timely basis.
- Support and encourage Board participation in fundraising, through the Development Committee and independently.
- Lead planning and implementation for major campaigns, including end of year and spring appeals .
- Manage donor relationships using Salesforce.
- Cultivate strong cross-departmental collaboration to engender an organizational culture of philanthropy.
- Establish a positive, collaborative relationship with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and volunteers to assure the most effective use of talent, resources, and ideas in fundraising; instill best development practices across the organization.
- Direct management of fundraising and cultivation events, including peer-to-peer fundraisers, cocktail parties, dinners, and an annual gala.
- Manage development team of two, grow their impact through coaching, mentorship, and professional development planning.
- Develop internal and external briefing materials, strategies, proposals, presentations, reports, and fundraising collateral.
- Participate in the national conversation of fundraisers across the 826 network.
- Manage communications initiatives and campaigns to effectively increase visibility across New York City.
- Attend quarterly meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Work with the Development and Marketing Committee Chairs and Executive Director to plan strategic and effective committee meetings.
- Participate as part of the organization’s leadership team in the development and management of the strategic direction for 826NYC, and integrate the team’s work to support the organizational vision and mission.
Qualifications and skills
- Minimum five years of experience in nonprofit fundraising with individuals, foundations and/or corporations.
- Minimum two years of experience leading a team and managing staff.
- Experience using Salesforce or similar moves management software.
- Demonstrated success developing a major gifts program.
- Experience organizing fundraising galas.
- Committed to working with diverse student and community populations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to make articulate presentations to individuals and groups, and the ability to write effectively and persuasively.
- Comfortable coaching, supporting, training and retaining a team
- Experience in growing nonprofit organizations or start-ups.
- Outstanding ability to thrive under pressure and effectively manage multiple responsibilities.
- Passion for youth education and the mission of 826NYC
Full Medical. Dental and Vision option. Transportation and Flex.
Minimum Education Required