631 North 39th Street
Mt. Vernon Manor Community Development Corporation (MVM) is a community-based non-profit organization based in the West Philadelphia community of Mantua. Established in 1977 to address the need for quality, affordable housing in the Mantua neighborhood of West Philadelphia, MVM additionally serves as a hub for ongoing neighborhood revitalization and critical services that meet the needs of residents.
In 2010, Mt. Vernon Manor CDC received a HUD Choice Neighborhoods Initiative Planning Grant to lead the creation of a community-driven neighborhood plan for Mantua. The planning process, dubbed “We Are Mantua! (WAM)”, was completed in June 2013 and identified seven (7) key neighborhood priorities that have since guided the efforts of MVM and community stakeholders.
Mt. Vernon Manor CDC’s success is based in our practice of building authentic relationships, empowering and engaging residents, and working collaboratively with multiple sectors to facilitate collaboration and coordination. We are seeking a committed and multi-talented Community Development Associate to join our team during an exciting time of growth and opportunity.
Reports directly to the Executive Director.
The Community Development Associate will work directly with Mt. Vernon Manor (MVM) staff, administrators, consultants, and designated trained volunteers. He/she will assist the Neighborhood Advisory Committee (NAC) Coordinator in efforts to secure, record, and disseminate data and information related to community services and conditions. The Community Development Associate will also be responsible for supporting fund and resource development as well as assisting with other MVM programs, including the Mantua Urban Peace Garden, the Mantua Greenway, and activities related to housing development and community engagement. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Required Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provide assistance to secure, record, and report data on community services and conditions.
· Prepare and analyze survey and administrative data on special projects.
· Assist community residents with requests related to housing, energy, health, and employment.
· Develop new community-driven initiatives and secure funding to support them.
· Attend monthly community meetings as required.
· Conduct outreach and offer support to community resident leaders.
· Design, update, and manage the Mt. Vernon Manor CDC and Mantua Greenway websites, monthly newsletter, and social media platforms.
· Work in a team environment to develop, implement, and assess effectiveness of community-based projects.
· Create marketing materials for partners, community members, and potential funders
· Identify housing development and preservation opportunities and provide support during concept, predevelopment, and construction.
· Perform routine clerical work as required, including: preparing letters, producing outreach materials, coordinating purchases, filing, answering phones, updating newsletters, taking and preparing meeting notes, and other duties as assigned.
· Represent Mt. Vernon Manor CDC in various collaborative partnerships, including (but not limited to) the: Home Preservation Initiative, West Philadelphia Promise Zone Housing Committee and Public Safety Committee.
· Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
· 2-3 years with a community development organization or other non-profit experience.
· Some experience in housing development preferred.
· Flexible self-starter who can work without close supervision, able to analyze assignments, identify and address sub-tasks, and keep multiple assignments moving simultaneously.
· Experience facilitating and leading meetings and/or community-driven design processes.
· Strong verbal and writing skills.
· Experience with grant and proposal writing.
· Ability to interact courteously in an effective and efficient manner with MVM staff, consultants, residents, stakeholders, and representatives of other organizations.
· Competent in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher with ability to learn additional software programs. Experience using Wordpress for editing websites is a plus.
· Ability to work days, evenings, and Saturdays.
MT. VERNON MANOR CDC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Minimum Education Required