44 Farnsworth St
Based in Boston, the Massachusetts Coalition for Adult Education (MCAE) is a statewide nonprofit that champions the right of all adults to acquire 21st century literacy, English language and numeracy skills leading to economic prosperity, strong families and vibrant communities. MCAE provides leadership, professional development, communication and advocacy to advance quality adult basic education.
The Conference Coordinator is responsible for managing all aspects of MCAE’s annual NETWORK Conference in collaboration with MCAE’s Conference Committee, individual Members of MCAE’s Board of Directors, and MCAE staff and volunteers. NETWORK is MCAE’s signature professional development event, attended by more than 500 individuals. An event well-respected for the quality of its workshops, NETWORK is the largest adult basic education conference in New England. MCAE’s goal is for NETWORK not only to be self-sustaining, but to generate revenue for the organization.
NETWORK 2019 will be held Friday, May 10 at the Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel in Marlborough, MA.
The Conference Coordinator’s specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. Coordinate timely completion of all tasks related to the NETWORK Conference in collaboration with the MCAE Conference Committee, MCAE Board of Directors, MCAE staff, volunteers, relevant contractors, and the Technology Team.
2. Manage the conference budget, including relevant food, facility, audio-visual, and out-of-pocket expenses and report to the MCAE Conference Committee as requested.
3. Participate in Conference Committee meetings, which are either in-person or by conference call.
4. Once the sessions have been approved by the Conference Committee, work with the committee and MCAE staff to schedule the workshop sessions and prepare and maintain a working spreadsheet with all relevant session information, including audio visual and technical equipment needs.
5. Recruit new and returning exhibitors and coordinate all aspects of their participation.
6. Create and proofread the conference program booklet and arrange to post it to MCAE’s web site.
7. Manage the online registration process through Constant Contact and communicate regularly with MCAE staff regarding any outstanding invoices.
8. Coordinate room, food, audio-visual equipment and other logistics with hotel staff and the conference’s volunteer Technology Team.
9. Coordinate on-site setup the night before the conference, including the assembly of conference folders and other materials.
10. Organize and supervise logistics for registration, plenary sessions, and luncheon.
11. Work with the Technology Team to ensure that all presenters have the support and equipment they need.
12. Troubleshoot as needed.
13. Organize and attend a debriefing meeting within a month after the conference with a final report on conference outcomes and processes, what worked well and what could be improved next year.
14. Compile timely reports for the Conference Committee and the MCAE Board, including individual workshop evaluations and overall evaluations.
1. Demonstrated excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
2. Demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and perform under pressure.
3. Demonstrated ability to problem-solve.
4. Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills.
5. Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse groups.
6. Excellent computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, data bases and internet.
Work would begin immediately upon hire and continue through the conference, with some work required after the event to complete debriefing and reports. There are no set weekly work hours. Some work must be completed at the MCAE office or at the conference site; most work can be completed off-site.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
The postion will remain open until filled, but candidates are encouraged to send a letter of interest, resume, and a list of recent events to MCAE’s Director, Jeff McLynch, at email@example.com by Friday, October 19. Please include ‘NETWORK Conference Coordinator’ in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.