The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a Project Coordinator to lead Small Farmers Large Field (SFLF) farming system in Eastern and Northeastern Indian states to dissemination suitable technology package and develop backward and forward linkages for purchase of inputs, selling of output, provision of services.
The Position: The person selected will lead Small Farmers Large Field (SFLF) farming system in Eastern and Northeastern Indian states to dissemination suitable technology package and develop backward and forward linkages for purchase of inputs, selling of output, provision of services. This approach is based on pooling small plots into larger, synchronized production units (20-50 hectares), through which farmers will be able to operate more efficiently and respond to larger demand from large traders, cold storage owners and processors. The SFLF model enables male and female small and marginal farmers to achieve bargaining power and economics of scale by strengthening backward and forward integration along the supply chain. In addition, the person is expected to work on identifying opportunities for developing climate smart food system in Vietnam and the Philippine, this includes developing technical report and policy briefs using both primary and secondary data and organizing workshop/forum for policy advocacy. S/he will report to the Regional Director for Asia and will be based in New Delhi, India.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Manage project interventions
- Refine the content and timelines for the work plan through interactions and dialogue with partners and other stakeholders and define responsibilities and commitments for its implementation.
- Ensure compliance with the agreed work plans through implementation of a monitoring, evaluation and learning system.
- Facilitate the establishment of a cohesive, proactive project team and a strong, mutually respectful partnership of implementing organizations with clear accountability, transparency in its operations and efficiency targeting towards food insecure and poor households.
- Develop collaborative relationships with direct project partners and the larger potato stakeholder community.
- Ensure longer term viability of the partnership implementing the project through frequent interactions with senior managers of the participating organizations.
- Ensure the timely preparation and high quality of all reporting requirements.
- Providing technical backstopping to potato stakeholders in Asia cross-cuts all activities.
- Lead all management aspects of project implementation.
- Supervise and lead the technical (field coordinators in the project implementation regions) and administrative team.
- Monitor project partner activities and reporting.
- Ensure that project implementation is responsive to communities and partners and aligned with CIP’s principles, values and strategic plan.
- Work with administrative and finance units at CIP, oversee the development of sub-agreements and works plans.
- Monitor adherence to grant agreement, CIP policies and procedures and relevant external rules and regulations.
Staff Management, Professional Development and Team Building
- Create a work atmosphere conducive to professional growth and development of excellent personnel at all levels.
- Promote accountability by conducting staff annual performance reviews with direct supervisees and ensuring that all staff members are effectively using the performance planning and management system.
- Contribute to project team-building efforts and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
What are we looking for?
- PhD in Development Studies, Social Science, Agricultural Economics or other related careers.
- Strong experience of at least 2 years in project management, preferably within a challenging international development context.
- Experience working in India, Vietnam and the Philippines.
- Experience developing and strengthening partner relations.
- Experience implementing and adhering to workplans, and monitoring interventions.
- Strong knowledge in potato cropping systems in particular in Asia would be an asset.
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities and manage multiple activities.
- Demonstrated leadership, integrity and versatility.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Fluent English Level. Hindi and other Indian languages will be an advantage.
- Some working exposure to Vietnamese and Tagalog.
- Willingness to travel frequently and work under field conditions.
Why should you consider this opportunity?
- CIP is a global and reputable international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background, and is a recent World Food Price Winner and awarded with the Al-Sumait Award for our Orange Flesh Sweet Potato work in Africa.
- CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender equality for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP’s mission contributes to the SDGs: 1,2,3,5,8,13 and 15.
- CIP is a member of the CGIAR, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.
What are we offering?
- Exciting career opportunity in an international organization.
- Internationally competitive salary, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience.
- Comprehensive international insurance coverage.
- Attractive retirement plan.
- Three-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
- Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
Conditions: The employment contract is subject to funding and will be for a two-year term with the possibility of renewal. The salary will be internationally competitive, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience.
How to apply?
Visit the following link: https://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/ and submit your cover letter and a full C.V. with your references (3 recently supervisors). Screening of applications will begin on January 31, 2020 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will NOT work or have contact with children and/or vulnerable adults
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply.