Full Time Temporary Contract
Details: $18 per hour
254 West 31st Street
NYRP improves, maintains, and programs open spaces in communities lacking adequate resources. Working on public and private land citywide, NYRP’s flexible approach to land management serves as a model for non-profit municipal engagement. Together with partners in city agencies, non-profit organizations, and local communities, NYRP demonstrates the social and environmental value of building ownership over open spaces.
The Seasonal Zone Gardener will assist one of NYRP’s Regional Zone Gardeners in the general maintenance of some of the 51 Community Gardens that NYRP owns and operates throughout all 5 boroughs of New York City. The Seasonal Zone Gardener will join an experienced operations team that works toward a more equitable and sustainable urban landscape, through garden maintenance, restoration, and public engagement. Ideal candidates will demonstrate a strong work ethic, an interest in sustainable management practices, comfort interacting with the public and enthusiasm for NYRP’s mission.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Garden, sidewalk and lawn maintenance;
- Plant Installation;
- Delivery of materials for community gardeners;
- Litter removal;
- Light repair and maintenance of garden infrastructure;
- Safe operation of tools, vehicles, and equipment;
- Interact with staff and the public in a courteous manner;
- Lead groups of volunteers;
- Demonstrate efficiencies in time management and project completion;
- Assist executing greening projects throughout the city.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience in one of the following fields: horticulture, grounds keeping, organics recovery, landscaping or environmental restoration;
- Valid and Clean NY state driver’s license;
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions;
- Ability to lift 50-lbs;
- Must be a team-player, willing to collaborate on any and all tasks required for maintaining the highest standards of landscape management and operations;
Start date: March 1, 2018
End Date: October 31, 2018
Schedule: 8:00 am-4:00 pm, Monday - Friday
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested individuals are encouraged to send a cover letter and resume by email to HR@nyrp.org or standard mail to 254 W. 31st Street, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10001.
All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, and shall also follow the requirements of the Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.