Deputy Chief of Party: Improved Basic Education in the Kyrgyz Republic
- Job posted by American Institutes for Research
American Institutes for Research (AIR), is a not-for-profit company, founded 72 years ago. Our mission is to improve lives, especially for those in disadvantaged circumstances by conducting and applying the best social science and evaluation research. Since AIR’s founding, AIR staff have dedicated their efforts to strengthening education and related systems and developing in-country capacities to sustain programs over time. Complementing integrity and effective management practices, and a commitment to mutually supportive partnerships, AIR brings expert technical skill to address the many in-country factors affecting successful implementation and sustainability of best practices – leadership, linguistic and cultural competence, supportive policies, practitioner professional development, and data for monitoring and evaluation and continuous quality improvement.
AIR’s International Development Program has worked in more than 80 countries over the past three decades, serving USAID and a variety of other clients. We seek to ensure that: every child has access to all levels of education; governments and civil society have the capacity to provide quality learning experiences and relevant curricula; and individuals, communities, and institutions are linked in and empowered to support efforts, serving as agents of support and change.
AIR is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for a proposed USAID-funded, early grade reading project in the Kyrgyz Republic in Central Asia. The anticipated project will focus on: improving reading and math instruction in Kyrgyz and Russian languages through effective teacher and administrator preparation; design and delivery of quality reading materials; building assessment capacity; and other needed government capacities to sustain effective reading instruction beyond this work.
The Deputy Chief of Party position will be based in the Kyrgyz Republic.
The DCOP acts as the Chief of Party (COP) in the absence of the COP and will be responsible for management of the technical activities and implementation of the project.
Eligibility: Kyrgyz Republic nationals are encouraged to apply.
• Requires a master’s degree in a relevant field such as education, management, social sciences or development studies, or a bachelor’s degree with at least five years of relevant international development experience in the education sector
• At least eight years of demonstrated experience in the successful implementation of international development activities, with at least three years in senior program management including direct supervision of professional and support staff
• Experience working in the education sector in Central Asia, particularly in the Kyrgyz Republic, is preferred; experience specific to early grade literacy and numeracy is an asset
• Desired experience includes work in education policy development and implementation, program monitoring and oversight, capacity development, and financial and contractual oversight.
• Sound knowledge of USAID rules and regulations
• Proficiency in English is required
This position is contingent on funding.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required