The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) is authorized by Congress to conduct research to provide information about the best available evidence to help patients and their health care providers make more informed decisions. PCORI’s research is intended to give patients a better understanding of the prevention, treatment, and care options available, and the science that supports those options.
Under the general supervision of the Assistant Director of Financial Operations & Reporting and the Senior Manager, Accounting Information Systems, the Payroll & Systems Analyst will perform, including but not limited to, (a) internal control compliance responsibilities over areas of interest including payment/payroll disbursements, (b) perform multi-state tax setups and filings, and (c) perform roles requiring segregation of duties in Finance. This position will perform (d) a role in governance, risk management, and control activities (GRC) by using quantitative and qualitative auditing techniques to assess and evaluate the effectiveness of the GRC process.
Duties and Responsibilities
Payroll and Accounting Functions
- Submits application for new State Unemployment Insurance (SUI), state tax ID, and state tax withholding as well as receiving agency/state notices to resolve issues.
- Perform research for any unclaimed property checks in payroll and accounts payable for regulatory filings.
- Maintain payroll and payroll tax records in SharePoint.
- Conduct a periodic review of supporting payroll documents, including but not limited to, review of payroll transactions, review of bi-weekly payroll reports, review of year-end payroll reports.
- Collaboratively work with internal and external stakeholders to fulfill information request or solve issues, including but not limited to, act as the liaison to the Human Resources department on relevant topics and issues of common interest as well as investigating and resolving payroll discrepancies
- Assist the Senior Budget & Treasury Manager with payroll related questions pertaining to budgeting and forecasting.
- Support the General Ledger Team with month-end payroll reconciliations and accrual and conduct matching activities of the payroll ledger to supporting documents.
- Support the annual audits such as Workers Compensation, Defined Contribution Retirement Plan, and Financial Year-End.
- Assist in formalizing communication procedures between Human Resources and the Finance departments by holding stand-in meetings, creating and/or updating shared SOPs, policies, and guidelines.
- Conduct assurance reviews of payroll transactions that fall outside of the normal payroll distribution.
- Perform check payment controls such as manual check verification and distribution, securing undistributed checks, and matching payable addresses/identifications.
Systems and Risk Governance Functions
- Assist in facilitating an organizational risk self-assessment to identify and address operational vulnerability.
- Understand organizational processes, controls, and policies to develop meaningful tests to ensure controls are operating as designed to mitigate threats and vulnerabilities.
- Review of the “Fraud Tree” and its applicability to PCORI based on importance and risk threshold and tolerance. Detect and deter financial transactions fraud schemes.
- Evaluation of various technologies, systems, databases, and reporting tools to ensure proper segregation of duties controls with an appropriate level of checks and balances.
- Collaboratively plan the risk self-assessment in accordance with standards and frameworks to determine whether financial information systems are protected and controlled.
- Monitor and report risk identified as well as non-compliance with policies and procedures to ensure proper internal controls are maintained.
- Perform a vendor risk management to mitigate third-party risks by performing due diligence review of vendors and implementing anti-fraud controls such as dual performance and segregation of duties. Assist the Accounts Payable Team with risk related transactions.
Incumbent(s) in this position may be required to perform other duties and special assignments not specifically stated above.
Statements outlined in this section are designated as essential job functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- Extensive knowledge of payroll regulations, statutory requirements, payroll tax policy, workers compensation, disability benefits and retirement plan as well as multi-state tax set up
- Exercise due professional care and professional skepticism
- Customer service orientation with well-developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to lead and prioritize multiple projects of varying timelines
- Advanced Microsoft (Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint) skills
- Highest standards of accuracy and precision; highly organized
- Demonstrate integrity and ability to handle confidential data and information
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Bachelor's Degree
- Payroll related certification, CFE, CIA preferred
- Strong understanding of COSO, IPPF, COBIT, GAAP, or other industry framework a plus
- 5+ years’ experience administering a multi-state payroll
- Experience in Software-as-a-Service applications (Sage Intacct, Bill.com, ADP Workforce Now, Salesforce, SAP Concur)
- Ability to interpret policies and guidelines
- Experience working in corporate environment preferred
* PCORI Staff Conflict of Interest Statement - No PCORI employee can receive a direct financial benefit from a healthcare related organization during the course of his/her employment with PCORI.
Now that you have read this far, it is time to submit an online application. Please apply online at https://www.pcori.org/about-us/careers-pcori. Check out our site and see what your potential possibilities are along with more detailed information about our organization.
PCORI conducts background and credit checks on all applicants.
PCORI is an equal opportunity employer committed to cultural diversity in our workforce.