Details: AmeriCorps Living Stipend + $6000 scholarship upon term completion!
West Seven Mile Road
Overview: EcoWorks is a Detroit non-profit that has worked at the intersection of social justice and sustainability since 1981. We seek enthusiastic, self-directed, dependable individuals to work with students, teachers, school administrators, parents and staff to create more sustainable schools and build leadership among students. The position averages 41 hours per week, September 10th, 2018 – August 16th, 2019.
Youth Energy Squad: As a program of EcoWorks we empower youth to make their communities more sustainable and become leaders in Michigan’s green economy. From 2012-2017, the Youth Energy Squad (YES) team facilitated the participation of 60 Detroit Public Schools in the DPS Go Green Challenge - completing over 2,000 projects and saving their schools over $1.9 million in electricity and gas costs. Students play a critical role in this work by leading energy-saving school patrols and home visits, creating recycling campaigns, improving school gardens, and other projects. YES students regularly present their work at conferences and have even met with President Obama to advocate for youth green jobs and won the prestigious Governor’s Service Award. Learn more at www.youthenergysquad.org.
Position Detail: The primary role of an AmeriCorps Green School Coordinator is to inspire and equip K-12 students, teachers, school administrators, parents and staff to make their schools and communities more sustainable. In partnership with schools in Southeast Michigan, including Detroit Public Schools, you will help form and lead school green teams. With your support and guidance, green teams will assess their schools, set goals, and carry out hands-on greening projects that foster health, student learning, and community engagement while reducing environmental impacts and utility costs.
• Recruit and convene a group of students, school staff, and faculty to serve as a school’s green team in elementary, middle, and high schools
• Support teachers who wish to incorporate Detroit-specific sustainability lessons into their curriculum (such as a classroom energy audit)
• Facilitate opportunities for parents to participate in home energy conservation and other sustainability workshops
• Contribute to program development and administration through communications, graphic design, lesson development, energy analysis, etc.
• Lead a team of high school students in a green summer jobs program where students are paid, receive a college scholarship, and are able to work within a topic of their interest such as weatherization, green building, food justice, etc.
• Lead a high school afterschool program where youth plan and implement community greening projects
• Serve as role model and mentor students for success in college and future careers
• Maintain safe, productive, and enjoyable work environment
• Experience working with youth (e.g. tutor, coach, teacher, camp counselor)
• Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred (environment, education, social science, etc.)
• Knowledge of energy, sustainability, and social justice issues
• Able to teach, lead discussions, and manage group dynamics
• Self-directed and able to remain organized while moving multiple projects forward
• Excellent communication skills
• Strong leadership and decision-making skills
• Ability to work well with a team from diverse backgrounds and dedication to creating a positive and supportive work environment
• Comfort working in urban low-income communities
• Computer proficiency and ability to work with MS Office and Google Apps
• Skills in graphic design, communications, technical analysis, curriculum development, and other areas that support program implementation are valued
• Spanish language skills are a plus
• All applicants be at least 21 years old and pass a criminal background check
• Personal transportation preferred (mileage for program related travel is reimbursed)
Terms: AmeriCorps is a national service program that partners 75,000 people annually with non-profits (such as EcoWorks) to protect the environment, educate youth, and build communities. As an AmeriCorps member with EcoWorks you will serve from September 10th, 2018 – August 16th, 2019. The position includes a living stipend distributed in bi-weekly disbursements of $600; an education award of up to $5,920 for future expenses or loan repayment; forbearance of educational loan repayments; eligibility for health insurance; and mileage reimbursement for program travel. Extensive training will be provided and prospective members do not need extensive prior experience in energy efficiency. The typical program schedule is Monday through Thursday, 8:30 – 5:00, Friday 8:30 – 3:30, and occasional Saturdays. Holidays such as winter break and limited time off are built into the program schedule.
Benefits: This AmeriCorps term of service is a commitment that demands initiative, flexibility, and determination to help YES succeed. In turn, you can expect a deeply rewarding experience in which you transform the lives of youth and develop the skills to be a stronger leader in future endeavors.
Key benefits include:
- Health Care
- Child Care
- Loan Forbearance
- Access to program vehicles, computers and other necessary supplies
- Accessible accommodations
- Serving alongside a diverse group of passionate, talented leaders
Professional development for members is a strong tenet of the YES program and is delivered on a regular basis throughout the term of service. Additionally, through partnerships with a variety of local organizations, you will have ample opportunity to grow a personal network of professionals dedicated to social justice and the environment. Whether you are a recent college graduate, a retiree, or looking for a career change, we invite you to apply for the position!
Health Care, Child Care, Loan Forbearance, Access to Program Vehicles and Equipment, Professional Development
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish proficiency is a plus!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 references to Anna Balzer, email@example.com with AMERICORPS APPLICATION in the subject line. Priority consideration will be given to applications received by August 31st, 2018. Positions will be filled as soon as qualified applicants are selected.
EcoWorks is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes a diverse pool of applicants to apply. We oppose all forms of discrimination, including but not limited to age, race, ethnicity, class, gender, sexual orientation, religious belief or practice, physical appearance, or disability.