Details: Based on experience
26 Bleecker Street
Planned Parenthood of New York City is seeking a Vice President of Public Affairs to join our External Affairs Team. The Vice President of Public Affairs is based at our Administrative office at 26 Bleecker Street, New York, New York 10012.
It is an exciting and important time to work at Planned Parenthood of New York City. We are building on our strength with dynamic new leadership, talented staff members, engaged donors and activists, and amazing community partners. We are determined to thrive and grow in these times of transition and resistance.
Working at PPNYC is more than a job. It is an opportunity to help ensure that all New Yorkers have access to affordable, high-quality sexual and reproductive health care and evidence-based education programing so they can lead healthy lives and fulfill their dreams. We approach our work through a reproductive justice lens, seeking to break down the barriers, whether through our services, education or advocacy efforts, which prevent individuals from accessing the health care and information they need and deserve.
At PPNYC, we provide the absolute best care to our patients and our communities through innovative health care delivery and education programming. We care for everyone who walks through our doors regardless of insurance, ability to pay or immigration status. As a leading voice for reproductive freedom, PPNYC fiercely advocates for policies to ensure that all New Yorkers will have access to the full range of reproductive health care services and information.
PPNYC knows that our greatest asset is our people. We offer competitive compensation and robust benefits package to eligible employees. Our benefits package includes comprehensive health and dental insurance, a 401(k) retirement plan including an employer contribution, and generous paid time off.
What the Vice President of Public Affairs does:
- Working closely with the Chief External Affairs Officer (CEAO) and as a senior member of the Public Affairs management team, the VP of Public Affairs is responsible for ensuring the organization's policy, advocacy and electoral goals are achieved
- Applying a reproductive justice lens, the VP will help shape an intersectional, multi-issue agenda to work in coalition with organizational allies.
- The VP will oversee:
· Governmental Relations team and serve as Planned Parenthood of New York City’s (PPNYC) primary lobbyist to New York City, State and Federal elected and appointed officials regarding sexual and reproductive health (SRH) and rights and funding for PPNYC programs and services
· Community Organizing team and direct PPNYC’s advocacy and community organizing to expand and engage our activist base and work in coalition with community partners to advance our mission and promote SRH equity
· Political Affairs team and develop and implement annual and long-term electoral strategy for Planned Parenthood of New York City Action Fund (Action Fund), Planned Parenthood NYC Votes (PPNYC Votes), and Planned Parenthood NYC Votes PAC
o Each entity will pay for the appropriate portion of the VP’s time
We’re seeking candidates who have:
- Graduate Degree or equivalent in public policy, law, political science, or related field
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in community, political or union organizing and/or legislative issue advocacy as well as government relations preferably with existing New York City and State contacts
- The ideal candidate must have: strong supervisory and management skills; excellent speaking, writing, presentation and facilitation skills; ability to build relationships and coalitions and work collaboratively; demonstrated capacity to affect public/health care policy; knowledge of sexual and reproductive health and rights issues and a commitment to support a reproductive justice framework
-The position will require occasional in-state and out-of-state travel, and occasional overnight stays for meetings and conferences, as well as attendance at evening and weekend meetings
We offer an excellent, comprehensive benefits package!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Are you interested in bringing your passion, commitment and expertise to Planned Parenthood of New York City? Please follow this link to submit your resume and cover letter. No phone calls; PPNYC will contact select applicants to conduct an initial phone screening.
Planned Parenthood of New York City is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. People of color, people with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people are encouraged to apply. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socio-economic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.