Role & Responsibilities
Manage the implementation and coordination of the designated field projects. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair projects, the Project Coordinator also plays a key role in liaison with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, team leadership and security.
The following projects are run in Bunia: BHA (ex. OFDA) grant; (COD223) Ebola wraparound and COVID-19 Scale up including Training, Health, Community Engagement and WASH activities; (COD229 – COD231) Health, Nutrition, Care groups (coming up soon) and WASH activities; ECHO/SDC grant; (COD227) Health, Nutrition, WASH activities and emergency responses.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Bunia, Democratic Republic of Congo. Take a look at Medair’s work in DR Congo.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Oversee the overall implementation of the designated in accordance with the project proposals ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the designated projects, including resource needs analysis, covering the time frame of the project proposal.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives are conducted.
- Maintain an overview of the regional context with a view to the strategic development of new projects.
- Support the Deputy Country Director in the development and production of new concepts and proposals.
- Develop, in consultation with the other senior field managers, an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the country context and strategy.
- Ensure complete and timely reporting of activities to Medair, donors and line managers.
- Ensure all documents are produced according to Medair and donor guidelines.
- Develop relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, government officials, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs) and represent Medair at relevant meetings (e.g. state and local government, sector-coordination and security) in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation.
- Accompany donors on field trips and ensure programme details are transmitted in a timely and professional way.
- Plan and construct the budgets.
- Ensure that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations, making any budget adjustment recommendations to the Deputy Country Director.
- Monitor the spending of the designated project(s) for financial accounting and reporting practices.
- Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines. This includes recruitment, appraisal, development and training, disciplinary action, etc.
- Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
- Promote the health and security of the staff of the designated project(s) by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
- Monitor, review and analyse the security status of the areas of operation on a regular basis, liaising as appropriate with local authorities, other NGOs, the UN or other relevant security bodies.
- Ensure all staff members and all visitors receive training in security-related topics. Train Project Managers in security planning, management, etc.
- Promote and use the Medair operating procedures, ensuring that guidelines are followed.
- Ensure designated projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes.
- Pro-actively seek advice of quality team and implement within cost, scope and time.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development / Business Administration.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written). Good working knowledge of French.
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position, preferably in a relief environment.
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Leadership and project management skills.
- Consultative and servant leadership with excellent communication skills and training willingness.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Dynamic, creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner, self-motivated and hard-working.
- Committed to team-building and able to develop and support other team members. Team-player with good inter-personal skills.
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page. *Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.*