1700 North Moore Street, Suite 2000
Ashoka pioneered the field of social entrepreneurship and is the world's largest network of social innovators with over 3,500 Ashoka Fellows in 80 countries. Ashoka builds and cultivates a community of change leaders who see that the world now requires everyone to be a changemaker. Together, we collaborate to transform institutions and cultures worldwide so they support changemaking for the good of society.
As a global organization focused on the good of society we recognize the importance of privacy as a human right. With the evolving nature of data privacy laws in particular, characterized by the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), we are seeking additional capacity to ensure that our operations are as reflective of our value of privacy.
That additional capacity would be in the form of a Global Privacy and Compliance Manager who will be a member of Ashoka Global’s Legal department and will lead an international team responsible for ensuring data privacy and regulatory compliance across Ashoka’s global operations. If you’re someone who thrives in complexity and derives value from generating operational impact then this could be the job for you.
As a nonprofit committed to changing institutions and cultures for the good, we may not be able to pay you the most. But what we can promise is that you’ll be working with some of the most committed and talented people in the sector, and your work each day will further support the goal of everyone a changemaker world.
- Work closely with Ashoka’s offices and program teams around the world to understand their business processes, applications and technologies, including how Ashoka collects and uses information and work to promote Privacy by Design processes and embed privacy requirements and controls into projects, products, and services;
- Work to ensure the organization maintains appropriate privacy policies, standards, and notices and work cross-functionally to integrate these policy requirements into global operations;
- Support efforts to ensure compliance with cross-border data transfer regulations and data localization requirements with respect to both intra-company and third-party transfers;
- Draft, review, and support negotiations regarding data privacy contractual provisions in various agreements;
- Conduct, guide, and participate in risk assessments; develop risk mitigation plans and make recommendations to accomplish the policies and implement the procedures;
- Monitor current and evolving statutes, regulations, and case law and help to identify legal issues of critical importance to the company;
- Keep a keen eye to detail in order to reference easter eggs you found in the job description during your interview;
- Oversee relevant organizational training processes and material development;
- Monitor and assess the effectiveness of compliance activity and facilitate auditing;
- Maintain strong coordination, cooperation, and mutual support with other departments such as IT, Human Resources, Finance, Executive Team as well as local operations teams;
- Respond to regulator queries as appropriate and/or required.
- Law degree with minimum of 3 years’ experience in privacy and/or compliance work or equivalent privacy/compliance degree with 5 years’ related experience;
- Broad background in providing advice and counsel to operating business managers regarding compliance matters;
- Understanding of organizational development and change management processes;
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership of and solve problems, and to expeditiously provide recommendations;
- Ability to think creatively, to handle multiple and complex matters, and to work independently and effectively with clients, peers, and other parties;
- Outstanding analytical, writing, and oral presentation skills;
- Comfortable operating in ambiguous situations and finding paths to resolution;
- Outstanding strategic planning and management skills;
- Ability to integrate and balance priorities, work activities and resources for the benefit of multiple key stakeholders; and
- Available for international business travel.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please follow the above link and then use the 'apply' button there to submit your application.