Position Summary: Counsel and Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion provides vision, management, and planning for DNC diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives throughout the Committee, both internally and externally. Counsel and Director of DEI serves as the primary liaison for the DNC on key diversity-related and contractual matters and must work well across all departments, be highly organized, detail-oriented, highly motivated, and have a proven track record of multi-tasking with ease.
- Oversee implementation of diversity, equity, and inclusion programs through deep cross-departmental collaboration across the organization to include contracting, recruitment, training, and retention for both employees and outside contractors/vendors;
- Expedite, review and negotiate contracts in conjunction with outside counsel;
- Responsible for the day to day implementation of policies and programs, covering areas such as contracting, training, recruitment and retention;Represent the DNC in external DEI speaking engagements and/or trainings as necessary;
- Oversee sourcing and hiring procedures to ensure DNC attracts and selects high-potential and diverse candidates, including cultivation of and outreach to diverse pipelines;
- Identify, encourage, and conduct outreach to diverse vendors concerning contracting opportunities in line with the DNC’s commitment to diversity;
- Establish and maintain key external DEI relationships;
- Facilitate employee training and coaching opportunities (e.g. individual, team, skill-based and management training, mentorship) in conjunction with internal stakeholders;
- Develop metrics to ensure accountability, tracking, and monitoring of diversity and inclusion initiatives, and prepare and present reports to DNC Leadership;
- Spearhead successful annual diversity vendor symposium;
- Provide support to external DNC stakeholders, such as State Parties and progressive partners on diversity initiatives;
- Work closely with the Director of People and Culture to ensure equitable policies and procedures, foster morale and staff retention;
- Form and facilitate DNC DEI steering committee;
- Respond to and lead DEI initiatives as necessary, and;
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- A Juris Doctorate degree is required;
- A DEI Certificate certificate or other training is preferred;
- Five to seven or more years (combined) of diversity and inclusion experience, corporate law, campaign operations, and/or political office management;
- Knowledge and understanding of compliance, diversity and inclusion principles;
- Must have high level of emotional intelligence and be well versed in cultural sensitivity and intercultural competencies;
- Understanding and execution of strict confidentiality, and;
- Strong communications skills across a variety of mediums and strong interpersonal skills.