The Director, Global Health serves as a critical resource to drive the UN Foundation’s global health policy planning efforts, including especially in cross-cutting areas such as health equity and health system strengthening. S/he will also serve as our lead on malaria policy and advocacy.
S/he will combine a sophisticated appreciation of the institutional landscape in global health with a proven capacity to navigate both policy substance and key relationships. S/he will bring thoughtful perspective and ideas to support the UN and its partners in developing fresh thinking, dialogue, and coalitions to tackle critical global health challenges and cultivating, diversifying, and supporting coalitions committed to global health leadership and solutions among policy influencers and other partners.
This position will provide management to our Global Malaria Team and will contribute to its position on malaria policy and financing issues, including policy analysis to inform UNF’s malaria advocacy, communications, and resource mobilization work in support of the RBM Partnership to End Malaria and its role on the Private Foundations Constituency of the Global Fund Board of Directors. S/he will also help to grow the UN Foundation’s collaboration with other relevant UN, multilateral, and bi-lateral partners.
The Director, Global Health reports to the Vice President, Global Health Strategy and works closely with other members of the Global Health, policy planning, and advocacy teams.
This role is based in Washington, D.C.
Policy and Advocacy
- Serve as UNF’s primary policy and technical advisor on malaria in both external and internal forums. Maintain close working relationship with appropriate members of the Secretariat of the RBM Partnership to End Malaria and Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria, and relevant UN, multilateral, and bi-lateral partners to advance UNF priorities and work to deepen and diversify support among influencers and decision makers in the global malaria ecosystem
- Identify, in consultation with the Vice President for Global Health and other relevant colleagues as needed, key priorities and issues of focus for UN Foundation’s global health work, leveraging the expertise and networks of colleagues across UNF, and develop related policy positions and strategies for advancement through UN Foundation’s advocacy work
- Track conversations, events, and other activities related to global health, malaria, health system strengthening and health equity
- Provide thought leadership, research capacity, and analytical inputs to inform emerging areas of work, informed by consultation with key internal and external stakeholders. Author policy papers and policy positions based on those inputs
- Represent UNF at external events, meetings and on task teams, as assigned or agreed to by the Vice President for Global Health Strategy
- Backstop the engagement of the UNF around a range of Global Health issues as requested.
- Provide briefing materials to senior leadership at UNF as related to portfolio and areas of expertise
- Work across teams to develop multi-year strategy(ies) and monitor annual progress
- Oversee select donor funded workstreams – proposal writing, reporting and budget management
- Manage (at least) two experienced senior officer-level staff, who lead the UN Foundation’s work on malaria advocacy and communications and serve as grant managers for the malaria programmatic grant portfolio
- Oversee the management of UN Foundation’s malaria programmatic grants portfolio, ensuring optimal allocation of resources, proper documentation, tracking, and monitoring of portfolio under management with other relevant grants administration, finance, and development staff
- Maintain working knowledge of the UNF agreement process (for both contracts and grants), and when to utilize the proper templates accordingly. (As applicable to the role)
- Draft and review agreements and maintain an understanding of all agreement terms and applicable flow-downs, consulting with UNF’s finance/contracts team as needed. (As applicable to the role)
- Attend training sessions provided by UNF’s contracts team to maintain and keep up to date with UNF’s current policies and procedures. (As applicable to the role)
- Maintain a strong knowledge of UNF’s Salesforce database to be able to process and track agreements, extract information and prepare reports. (As applicable to the role)
- Other duties as assigned
- Master's degree in Social Sciences, Public Health, International Relations, International Development or other relevant qualification
- At least eight to ten years work experience related to global health or international development policy or advocacy required
- Track record of analytic skill and policy savvy in global health or sustainable development
- Experience working in malaria and with key organizations working to combat malaria, including the UN, the Global Fund, President’s Malaria Initiative and RBM partnership highly desirable
- Proven ability to build strategic relationships and partnerships with and across diverse actors, including international actors, civil society, and business
- Superb communication skills, including excellent writing, editing, and presentation abilities
- Demonstrated political and diplomatic skills
- Practical experience with multilateral cooperation efforts and/or deep knowledge of global health policy development and delivery
- Demonstrated familiarity with budgets, budget processes, and grant management
- Detail-oriented with strong project and time management skills, including ability to manage multiple and fast-paced projects and tasks simultaneously
- Proven ability to work across departments to accomplish mission
- Ability to travel up to 20%