WCS, originally established in 1895 as the New York Zoological Society, is one of the world’s premier conservation organizations, and saves wildlife and wild places worldwide through science, conservation action, education, and inspiring people to value nature. WCS works in almost 60 countries globally, with the goal of conserving the world's largest wild places in 16 priority regions, home to more than 50% of the world's biodiversity.
WCS seeks a dynamic, well-organized, hard-working, and committed team player to serve a key oversight and support role related to subaward administration. Specifically, s/he will provide day-to-day oversight of subaward management, assisting field and HQ staff in conducting pre-award risk assessments, drafting subaward agreements/amendments, and monitoring ongoing subawards. The Subaward Manager will be a resource for staff on compliance issues and should have experience and familiarity with the rules and regulations of the U.S. government, EU, and other private and public donors.
This position, based at WCS Headquarters in NY, reports directly to the Assistant Director of Compliance in Program Development and will require direct communication with field and HQ staff in WCS’s Global Conservation Program and WCS Finance Department.
- Assist staff in conducting pre-award risk assessments for current and potential partners.
- Work with WCS’s Office of General Counsel to ensure all subaward agreement templates and letters of commitment are current with respect to WCS policies and donor requirements.
- Assist programs in negotiating the specific terms of agreements with subawardees.
- Develop guidance documents and act as a resource for field staff for all compliance-related issues pertaining to subawards.
- Work with field staff to ensure subaward payments are made in accordance with agreements.
- Complete and track anti-terrorism compliance checks of partners.
- Assist with subgrant-related information for audits and/or Form 990 completion.
- Develop systems to track all subaward financial and technical reporting.
- Coordinate with Finance Managers to ensure timely internal review, monitoring, and clearance of all financial documentation and reporting associated with subawards.
- Ensure SAP master data and electronic files related to subawards are being maintained
- Analyze and report on the status of current and closed subawards (e.g., spending patterns, outstanding reports).
- Guide field offices on subaward closeout procedures (e.g., documentation, distribution of inventory, retention of intellectual property, audits).
· Perform other duties related to subaward management and compliance as deemed necessary
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business, finance, or accounting
- At least five years of experience in grant/contract administration with at least one year working on subgrant administration.
- Demonstrated knowledge of U.S. Government grant and contract compliance requirements, with knowledge of other donors a plus;
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills
- Effective oral and written communication in English; Spanish and/or French fluency highly desirable
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work well with a wide variety of people in a team setting.
- Solid computer skills with expertise in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience with automated financial management systems, SAP preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Candidates must apply online via the WCS career portal at: http://www.wcs.org/about-us/careers. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. The job will be filled when a suitable applicant is found, so interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.