At the Center for Biological Diversity, we believe that the welfare of human beings is deeply linked to nature to the existence in our world of a vast diversity of wild animals and plants. Because diversity has intrinsic value, and because its loss impoverishes society, we work to secure a future for all species, great and small, hovering on the brink of extinction. We do so through science, law and creative media, with a focus on protecting the lands, waters and climate that species need to survive.
We want those who come after us to inherit a world where the wild is still alive.
General position overview:
As a full-time Paralegal you will provide paralegal and administrative support to help with the Center's litigation, policy advocacy, grassroots organizing and media outreach. The Center's working environment is fast-paced, exciting and supportive.
- Preparation of legal documents, including completing tables of contents and authorities for briefs, proofreading, formatting, cite checking, and related tasks.
- Assistance in calendar management for administrative actions, court filings and other programmatic activities.
- Maintenance of electronic databases for filings and program actions.
- Filing and serving documents and the maintenance of legal dockets, including ensuring compliance with court rules in a variety of state and federal jurisdictions; e-filing; making courtesy copies; corresponding with clerks' offices; and related tasks.
- Online research, including legal and scientific research.
- Assistance in drafting formal comment letters, including retrieval of online references.
- Maintenance of a legal library, including updating court rules and reference material, in coordination with other paralegals in the organization.
- Preparation and indexing of administrative records and appendices/excerpts of record in litigation.
- Assisting with the planning and handling of internal and external meetings, travel and conference arrangements.
- Assisting with event coordination, such as public presentations, rallies and hearings.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- A university degree. Paralegal certificate preferred, but significant experience as a paralegal or legal assistant is acceptable in lieu of a paralegal certificate.
- Experience in a litigation
- Strong organizational skills and an aptitude for high attention to detail.
- An aptitude for and ability to complete legal secretarial tasks, light legal research, review and organize documents, identify issues demanding attention, and generally pitch in to support and further the Center's mission.
- Intermediate-level or above skills with Microsoft Excel, Adobe Pro and Microsoft Word.
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong communication skills to facilitate working with attorneys in multiple offices.
- The ability to multitask and work well as part of an effective team.
- Familiarity with California and federal environmental laws.
- A strong work ethic and a demonstrated commitment to environmental protection.
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
The Center offers a very generous benefits package which includes:
- Paid Medical, dental and vision plan for employee.
- Paid Short-term and long-term disability.
- 403(b) plan with opportunity for match.
- Generous time off policies.
- Relaxed work atmosphere and dress code.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Application process: Please apply via our website at https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/about/jobs/ by submitting a cover letter, a resume, a writing sample and three to five references as a single PDF file. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.