Details: This is a full-time position with full health benefits.
Homeless Action Center (HAC) is a community-based legal services program founded in 1990 to provide legal services to homeless people in Alameda County. Over time, HAC’s specialty became public benefits advocacy, with a focus on Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. The process of qualifying for SSI benefits can be lengthy and difficult. Employing a client-centered focus and harm reduction principles, attorneys and advocates work closely with other legal services programs and social services programs to assist clients in meeting their emergency and longer-term needs during this process. HAC employs more than 60 people in three offices, and represents over 1,600 clients at a time. Please refer to www.homelessactioncenter.org.
The IT Coordinator will report to the Systems Manager and will be responsible for coordination, troubleshooting, and maintenance. Will perform both technical and administrative tasks to ensure functionality and efficiency of computer, software and telecom systems.
The IT coordinator must have more than basic understanding of software, hardware and networks, but more importantly must be willing to learn the ins and outs of HAC’s systems and develop a sound troubleshooting and education protocol that allows users to find information to solve IT issues as they arise. IT coordinator will be a highly analytical thinker, who keeps the larger picture in mind and uses communication and planning to allow the agency to run smoothly, while also being able to respond quickly to any situation that impedes the functioning of the HAC offices. Since user support, documentation, and teamwork are integral aspects of the role, excellent communication and people skills are required.
- Develop comprehensive documentation of our particular PC and network setup in coordination with IT provider and Systems manager.
- Be the on the ground lead or contact for upcoming projects (server move, new hire set up, staff move from one office to another, global upgrade to office 365, global upgrade of database software)
- Work directly with our IT provider as liaison when there are individual or global issues; troubleshoot and appropriately escalate tech problems with staff involving phones, printers, copiers, PCs, internet connection, and use of HAC resources on their personal devices
- Develop a comprehensive IT support protocol; work with IT provider and systems manager to refine and document protocols for the use of IT across departments and projects
- Be present at each of the three HAC offices as necessary to provide on the ground support for users as issues arise
- Create and maintain training materials and provide trainings on use of software, hardware, and other best practices (e.g. avoid phishing scams, avoiding common PC issues, reporting IT problems effectively)
- Physical maintenance of computers, monitors, copiers, phones, cabling as necessary
- Research and provide advice on the most suitable technology choices in accordance to our Systems Manager
- Determine the maintenance and growth needs of the network with the Facilities Manager, Systems manager, and IT provider
- Identify, Store, inventory, and order supplies related to PCs, phones, copier so that we are easily able to find needed cables, cords, phones, monitors, laptops, connectors; develop a system for tracking these items, in coordination with Facilities manager
- Work with IT provider to monitor warrantee, license, and upgrade schedules
- Create and administer the IT component of disaster plans that will keep the company functional in the event of a crisis
- Manage firmware/software updates that need to take place outside of the auto updates managed by our IT provider
Education and Experience Requirements
- A minimum of three years of closely related experience or six years of somewhat related experience
- Experience in network management and help desk support is strongly encouraged but not required – ability to troubleshoot, plan, and work effectively with all players is the most important part of the job, the rest can be learned.
- Moderate experience working with IT systems and applications, Microsoft software
- Conceptual understanding of faxing, cabling, networks, security, software, hardware, memory, monitors, phone lines, or willingness to self direct in a crash course of same
- Analytical thinking
- Passion for documentation
- Support for HAC’s mission and alignment with HAC’s core values
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing situations.
- Licensed driver, preferably with vehicle, who can lift and move equipment (computers, monitors) between offices in Berkeley and Oakland, or be able to effectively and timely muster others to do the same for you
- Ability to occasionally crawl under or stand on desks, or be able to effectively and timely muster others to do the same for you
HAC has three office locations. Attorneys share office space in an open office environment. The office is often chaotic and can be loud, but the open space encourages collaboration. We represent clients who are disabled, both mentally and physically, often homeless or on the verge of homelessness, and experiencing or with a history of severe trauma. Though we have a casual office environment, we expect that all staff will treat our clients with dignity and respect at all times. Finally, please note that we have animals – cats and dogs – in the offices.
Employer paid health, vision, dental. Subsidy for Commuter Check program. 403(b) account available without employer contribution. Generous vacation, holiday and sick time.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references as a single attachment to the hiring committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 20th . Please list as many specific competencies in software, hardware, networking, phones, etc. as you can.
HAC is committed to equity in hiring. We encourage people of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA, and members of other under-represented groups to apply. If selected for an interview, you will be contacted. No phone calls please.