334 Furman Street
The Brooklyn Bridge Park Corporation (BBP), a not for profit corporation, is responsible for the design, construction and operation of Brooklyn Bridge Park, an 85 acre, 1.3 mile, world-class park that stretches along the Brooklyn waterfront from Atlantic Avenue to Jay Street, north of the Manhattan Bridge. Adding much-needed open space for Brooklyn and New York City residents, Brooklyn Bridge Park contributes to the extraordinary revitalization of the waterfront in the New York Harbor, serving as a bridge from the commercial uses of previous centuries to the recreational uses of the future. Construction of the park is ongoing, and BBP operates areas of the park as they open to the public, while continuing to construct the remaining portions of the park design.www.brooklynbridgepark.org
Summary & Objectives:
Brooklyn Bridge Park seeks a highly motivated, creative, and resourceful Community & Government Relations Associate to join the team. Our ideal candidate has phenomenal interpersonal and communication skills, a strong passion for community and external relations, exemplifies a "no task is too small" attitude, and has a sense of humor.
As a member of the Public Affairs team, the Community & Government Relations Associate will lend support on a variety of projects and tasks, including managing relationships with elected officials, community groups, and other partners. The Community & Government Relations Associate should be highly organized to help manage ongoing logistics and coordination around events, announcements, projects, and planning. This role will include working internally across the organization and externally with the public with a focus on community and stakeholder engagement. A solid understanding of the government and media landscape in NYC is important.
- Support VP for Public Affairs in managing relationships with press, elected officials, community members, programming partners and allied organizations
- Cultivate and foster relationships with BBP stakeholders, government and community leaders, and relevant organizations and community members
- Support the execution of a proactive communications strategy that highlights the overall progress of the park as well as events, horticulture, design, and sustainability measures
- Support the development of a visitor services initiative in Brooklyn Bridge Park
- Assist with community outreach for BBP, including maintaining and broadening new relationships and partnerships, identifying and resolving issues, responding to questions and concerns as needed
- Act as a liaison to the Park’s Community Advisory Council (CAC) and related duties to help ensure a full, representative and active community advisory presence
- Respond to public inquiries via phones calls and email in a timely manner to maintain quick response times and provide accurate information to the public
- Support the development of narratives and messaging about BBP projects to support partnerships and outreach efforts
- Create presentations and other marketing materials to support the narrative of BBP
- Ensure integration of communication efforts across Park projects, initiatives etc.
- Research and update media lists and manage a media database
- Screen and field calls to/from media outlets
- Escalate issues, observations, opportunities, and insights to the appropriate team members
- Other projects and tasks as needed related to public affairs, communications, community relations and internal organizational
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate diplomatically and professionally
- Strong organizational, time-management, and multi-tasking skills
- Superb attention to detail and the ability to meet deadlines under pressure
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Self-motivation, flexibility, attention to detail and the ability to successfully handle multiple projects are essential to this position.
- 3-5 years of experience in community/government affairs, communications & marketing, or related field
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; Wordpress and MailChimp a plus
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience working with NYC press, NYC government and/or NYC communities a plus.
- Interest and proficiency in urban planning, landscape architecture, park management and sustainability concepts are a plus.
- Strategic Thinking
- Results Driven
- Business Acumen
- Decision Making
- Technical Capacity
- Communication Proficiency
- Collaboration Skills
- Customer/Client Focus
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time exempt position, and general hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Furthermore, Brooklyn Bridge Park provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, BBP complies with applicable state and local laws in our locations.
BBP offers a generous benefits package which includes medical, dental & vision.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit resumes and cover letters to email@example.com and state Public Affairs Associate in the Subject line.