Details: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
I. Overview of Teach Plus
The mission of Teach Plus is to empower excellent, experienced teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that affect their students’ success. The organization empowers expert teachers to advance policy changes and improve instructional leadership and teacher supports; trains and coaches teacher leaders to successfully mobilize and lead teacher teams; and empowers teacher leaders to be change agents among their peers and policy makers. Since 2009, Teach Plus has trained thousands of teacher leaders across the country who are driving policy changes and improving the instructional practices of teachers to create an education system driven by equity, access, and excellence for all students.
II. Position Description
Teach Plus’ Teacher-Led Practice Initiatives are innovative programs that engage, develop and support teacher leaders to generate, implement and manage change in district & school policies that impact teaching and learning, school culture & climate, and teaching practice. The Part-Time Teacher Leadership Coach will train and coach Berkeley SD87 Teacher Leaders as they lead change in their individual schools. The Teacher Leadership Coach is a critical leadership opportunity for a skilled coach who is looking to support school reform driven by teacher leaders.
Berkeley Teacher Leaders work together as teams of high-performing educators with administrators that understand the power of shared leadership. Teacher Leaders, with the support of their principal and Teacher Leadership Coach, serve in leadership roles, leading teams of their peers in collaborative inquiry to support the work of all teachers in the school to significantly increase student achievement.
Teach Plus has identified four attributes that effective teacher leaders use to improve student outcomes across their schools, to which the Teacher Leadership Coach supports Teacher Leaders in developing in the following areas:
● Skillful facilitators of adult learning
● Evidence-based decision makers
● Purpose-driven instructional leaders
● School wide change agents
An ideal candidate embodies these attributes and demonstrates strengths in developing these capacities in others. Specifically, the Part-time Teacher Leadership Coach is responsible for:
Ongoing In-School Support
● Foster High Functioning, High Impact Teacher Leader-led teams.
o Observe and strategically contribute in monthly Teacher Leader-led team meetings and professional development.
o Ensure that the primary work of each team is to improve teaching and learning for all students through use of calendared evidence-based inquiry cycles.
o Ensure that teacher leader initiative work is based in evidence and achieves desired impact on instructional practice and student learning.
● Coach and Develop Teacher Leaders. Plan and facilitate school-based teacher leader cohort meetings. Meet monthly with each Teacher Leader to plan for upcoming team meetings, debrief previous meetings, and engage in leadership coaching and feedback.
● Support School Leadership: Serve as part of school leadership team. Meet regularly with principal and school administration to ensure program fidelity.
Out of School Support
● With support of Teach Plus staff, the Teacher Leadership Coach will collaborate to provide the following out-of-school support for the Teacher Leaders across the district:
o Plan for and deliver portions of the Summer Institute, a multi-day hands-on training for Teacher Leaders across the Berkeley network.
o Plan for and deliver regional professional development sessions for Teacher Leaders across the Berkeley network.
● Supervise, ensure, document and report on the high and consistent quality delivery and fidelity of the Teacher Leadership Initiative in Berkeley SD87
● Collaborate with the National Instructional Leadership Team to communicate critical support, outcomes, metrics and resource needs to National Program Team.
● Be the primary external communicator about Berkeley SD87 instructional practice work. Both ongoing conversations and collaborations with district leadership
● Works with the Teach Plus national staff and the National Instructional Leadership Team to develop systems that allow teacher leadership to be implemented more efficiently and effectively
To be successful in this role, ideal candidates should have:
● 6+ years in the education field, with preference given to candidates who have both a teaching background and experience coaching teachers and school leaders in an urban environment
● Preference given to leaders who have led instructionally transformational work in the urban context
● Instructional coaching experience preferred
● A relentless focus on data, including analysis and using it to inform instruction and make decisions
● Experience in leadership development and facilitation of inquiry with teachers and/or school leaders
IV. Commitment to Diversity
In order to better-serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
V. Our Culture
At Teach Plus, we are driven by our mission and our core values are a driving force behind everything we do: Leadership, Solutions-orientation, Joy, Integrity in Practice, and Collaboration. We love what we do and we work hard to make a difference for teachers and students. We are smart, passionate, and engaged with one another. We are thought partners, collaborators, and constant learners.
VI. Term and Hours
This is a part-time, one-year position, with a tentative start date of August 1, 2018. Coaches may be eligible for a new position with Teach Plus or renewal on an annual basis on June 30, 2019 based on performance and school, district, or organizational partnerships. Candidates would need to commit to working 28 hours per week.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete an online application found here. Teach Plus will receive applications until the position is filled.
Application Link: https://teachplus.tfaforms.net/327898
Part-time employees are eligible for paid time off and 401K benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required