THE MISSION OF PROJECT HOME
The mission of the Project HOME community is to empower adults, children, and families to break the cycle of homelessness and poverty, to alleviate the underlying causes of poverty, and to enable all of us to attain our fullest potential as individuals and as members of the broader society. We strive to create a safe and respectful environment where we support each other in our struggles for self-esteem, recovery, and the confidence to move toward self-actualization.
Project HOME achieves its mission through a continuum of services comprised of street outreach, a range of supportive housing, and comprehensive services. We address the root causes of homelessness through neighborhood-based affordable housing, economic development, and environmental enhancement programs, as well as through providing access to employment opportunities; adult and youth education; and health care.
Project HOME is committed to social and political advocacy. An integral part of our work is education about the realities of homelessness and poverty and vigorous advocacy on behalf of and with homeless and low-income persons for more just and humane public policies.
Project HOME is committed to nurturing a spirit of community among persons from all walks of life, all of whom have a role to play in making this a more just and compassionate society.
THE VALUES OF PROJECT HOME
The work of Project HOME is rooted in our strong spiritual conviction of the dignity of each person.
We believe that all persons are entitled to decent, affordable housing and access to quality education, employment, and health care.
We believe in the transformational power of building relationships and community as the ultimate answer to the degradation of homelessness and poverty.
We believe that working to end homelessness and poverty enhances the quality of life for everyone in our community.
We believe that the critical resources entrusted to us to achieve our mission must be managed honorably and professionally.
Job Summary: Assistant Teacher assists and collaborates with lead teacher in planning and implementing lesson plans that include project based learning in Math, Reading and Technology. Assistant teacher collaborates with staff and volunteers and assists with the recruitment and retention of students leading to full enrollment in program. Assistant teacher assists with tutoring, assessments, transportation, meal preparation and other duties as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Create and nurture a welcoming, supportive and cooperative relationship with children, parents and staff
· Assist Lead Teacher with program planning, implementation of lesson plans and completing ongoing assessment of each child’s progress
· Assist Lead Teacher with integrating technology into educational and enrichment activities
· Assist in recruitment and retention of students for K-8 program
· Assist with the transportation needs of students when required
· Check daily attendance and maintain sign in sheets
· Assist with the maintenance of an orderly classroom
· Assist with planning, arranging and supervising students on field trips
· Assist with set-up and clean-up at afterschool meal time
· Participate in required professional development programs, staff meetings and parent meetings
· High School diploma or GED
· Previous work experience with children preferred.
· Knowledge of the developmental stages of childhood
· Good communication skills
· Computer skills
· Some Early Childhood college credits
· Valid Driver’s license
Project HOME is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a drug screen and background checks.
Project HOME reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as needed. This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive statement of the duties and responsibilities of the job nor does it constitute a written or implied contract.
THE MISSION OF PROJECT HOME
The mission of the Project HOME community is to empower adults, children, and families to break the cycle of homelessness and poverty, to alleviate the underlying causes of poverty, and to enable all of us to attain…