12200 Tech Road
Montgomery Housing Partnership (MHP) is seeking a NEIGHBORHOOD & POLICY COORDINATOR
to support the Neighborhoods division in research initiatives. This is a part-time, 35 hours per week position.
Who we are: Montgomery Housing Partnership, Inc. (MHP) is an active and growing nonprofit organization, founded in 1989, that develops, acquires, rehabilitates, and builds quality apartment homes to meet Montgomery County’s growing need for affordable housing. MHP’s community-based projects and programs includes providing affordable rents, developing educational programs for residents to develop skills that expand their opportunities and balance their lives, and implementing neighborhood revitalization efforts in troubled communities impacted by foreclosures and economic downturn.
Summary Job Description: The Neighborhood & Policy Coordinator primarily supports MHP’s Neighborhoods division. This position splits their time between being in the field and community, through direct person to person, resident outreach in target area neighborhoods, supporting MHP’s research initiatives. Primary responsibilities include:
- Facilitates, plans, and implements community wide-meetings and community building events.
- Cultivates relationships and partnerships necessary to conduct effective outreach in targeted neighborhoods.
- Supports neighborhoods in planning and visioning for the future.
- Supports the development and implementation of community beautification projects with residents.
- Manages MHP’s indicator database, including collecting data, and analysis.
- Creates maps reflecting various indicators and data points to support MHP initiatives.
- Assists in compiling, summarizing, and analyzing data, as well as in designing process or tools by which to collect the information such as surveys, focus groups, etc.; including overseeing such processes/surveys.
- Assists MHP and partners in developing a broad-based collaborative to advocate for policy change around preservation of affordable housing, and other issues critical to MHP residents.
- Conduct policy research and issues analysis, including making recommendations on opportunities to MHP.
- Drafts bi-monthly policy updates to share with our partners, donors, and constituents.
- Supports the Apartment Assistance Program with event support, and material development.
- Supports projects as assigned to meet obligations of departmental grants and contracts, including community meetings and events.
- Other tasks, as assigned.
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be requested.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of three (3) years of related experience in urban planning and community organizing or outreach, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Fluency in Spanish is highly desirable. Intermediate proficiency with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Additional experience with ArcGIS and Adobe Creative Suite preferred. Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills. Appreciation and ability working with a diverse group of individuals. Comfortable working in a “small shop” environment, handling multiple tasks simultaneously with minimal staff/administrative support.
Compensation: Salary will be based on applicable experience.
MHP offers a competitive benefits package including healthcare benefits, flexible spending accounts, 403(b) retirement matches, and generous paid time off.
Minimum Education Required