FishWise is a sustainable seafood consultancy that promotes the health and recovery of ocean ecosystems through environmentally and socially responsible practices. FishWise uses market-based approaches to achieve responsible business practices and create change on the water. This science-based and business-friendly approach has allowed FishWise to build partnerships and strong working relationships with industry, government, and NGOs.
We believe that healthy ocean ecosystems and freshwater habitats are vital to maintain biological diversity and are the building blocks of a long term and sustainable seafood industry. By combining credible science and NGO expertise, the innovation of seafood businesses, and the power of informed consumers, FishWise believes that we can chart a new course for the seafood industry. Our belief is that everyone in the supply chain has an important role to play, from the coastal communities and companies that farm and catch fish, to the specialty retailers and distributors that differentiate themselves through sustainable business practices, to the largest companies that possess the leverage to drive innovation and conservation in their supply chains. All of us must work together to enact the change necessary to protect our ocean resources long into the future.
The Project Director’s primary role is to develop, implement, and advance FishWise’s data systems to support sustainable seafood objectives. The Project Director will work closely with the Division Director to establish strategic work plans and goals, and will lead a team responsible for executing data deliverables. Drawing upon a solid understanding of data technology, especially FileMaker Pro, seafood sustainability criteria, and business practices, the Project Director will direct and manage data projects to support multiple partnerships and ensure that the highest quality information is used to support the FishWise mission.
Reporting: This position reports to the Data Division Director.
- Responsible for daily operations and advancement of the data systems.
- Plan, coordinate, and execute FishWise data services, ensuring contract deliverable deadlines are met.
- Develop and execute projects and processes to integrate business decisions and sustainability goals to improve data systems.
- Facilitate large-scale data collection efforts to track sustainability progress for business partnerships.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement systems’ upgrade, including FileMaker in-house development, in tandem with the current production systems.
- Effectively track and monitor changes to the systems.
- Contribute to collaborative data projects and working groups with external sustainable seafood NGO partnerships.
- Supervise Data Project Managers, Assistants, and contractors, providing them with direction, input, and feedback regarding their roles, responsibilities, and performance.
- Develop and implement project management communication protocols, and processes to effectively manage a growing team and an expanding range of projects.
- Manage limited light IT duties.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in related field, and 3 years experience with database systems
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to coach staff, manage & develop a high-performance team, and achieve strategic objectives
- Strong understanding of implementing data and technology tools for seafood sustainability and the ability to engage and effectively communicate with clients
- Experience breaking down complex topics and documents into materials that can be easily understood by target audiences
- Ability to meet deadlines and to manage multiple simultaneous projects
- Excellent with Filemaker Pro database development
- Excellent in relational databases or other information structure
- Excellent Mac-computer skills and fluent in Microsoft Excel
- QA/QC experience
- Detail-oriented and meticulous about data and information
- Excellent professional writing, editing, verbal communication, public speaking and presentation skills
- Experience working in a collaborative office or professional environment
- Strong interest in applying data technology to support ocean conservation and seafood sustainability missions
Hours and Benefits
- This is a full-time position preferably based in the FishWise office in Santa Cruz, CA.
- Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
- Competitive benefit package.
- Office hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00AM-5:00PM.
- Evening and weekend work will sometimes be required.
- Occasional business travel and personal transportation is required.
Minimum Education Required