620 Margate Drive
Reports To: Executive Director
Direct Reports: One staff (office manager role)
Key Stakeholders: Staff (5 as of Oct 2018), Chapter Volunteers and Treasurers, Executive Committee Members and National Board Treasurer, third – party fundraisers, auditors
The Director of Finance and Administration, in collaboration with the Executive Director and an office manager role, oversees The Children’s Heart Foundation’s (CHF) 1) overall financial management; 2) Human Resources processes/function; and 3) effective operations of the national office.
In addition, the Director will serve as part of the staff leadership team and contribute to the development and implementation of organizational strategies, policies and practices to maximize organizational performance.
· Financial reporting, accounting, and related internal controls, including cash management, reconciliations, budget vs. actual comparisons, management of accounting technology, and other related duties, including oversight for data entry, payables, and receivables performed by other staff. (approx. ~40%)
· Supporting and facilitating chapter financial processing and reporting requirements (~10%)
· Managing and directing, in collaboration with the Executive Director and the Medical Advisory Council Chair, CHF’s congenital heart defect research policies, processes, procedures, reporting, and other related facets of our research efforts (~15%)
· Support and oversee donor database quality management (~15%)
· Support and oversee human resources matters such as employee handbook, employee file maintenance and record keeping, and payroll processing (5%)
· Oversee development of and create office / accounting / staff policies, procedures, and process improvement assessments (~10%), including inventory management and controls
· Other duties as assigned (~5%)
Reporting to the Executive Director and serving as a member of the National Office Team (5-7 staff) for the organization, this position’s primary responsibility is ensuring organizational effectiveness by providing leadership for the organization’s financial and administrative functions. Working with the team, this position also contributes to the development and implementation of organizational strategies, policies and practices.
- 7+ years of relevant experience in nonprofit financial oversight and management, including tax and other compliance implications.
- Experience in a federated model (volunteer chapters) preferred
- Bachelor degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or Non-Profit Management required. MBA is a plus.
- CPA preferred but not required.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency in Excel, Word, DonorPerfect and Quickbooks required; minimum of 5+ years of DonorPerfect and QuickBooks experience
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills, sound judgement and decision making
- Excellent administrative management, interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style
- Demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
- Must be available for special events and training; some event-related evening/weekend work required (est. < 10%)
- Position is located at CHF’s National Office in Lincolnshire, IL
Full-time, 40 hours per week, based in the organization’s suburban Chicago offices.
Salary is competitive, commensurate with experience. Base salary and performance bonuses.
Benefits include healthcare allowance, PTO and comp time
The organization does not discriminate based on ethnicity, race, gender or sexual orientation. All individuals who are qualified and able to perform the job duties are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required