45 West 36th Street
Overview of AJWS:
Inspired by the Jewish commitment to justice, American Jewish World Service (AJWS) works to realize human rights and end poverty in the developing world. AJWS promotes civil and political rights; advances sexual health and rights; defends land, water and climate justice; and aids communities in the aftermath of disasters. AJWS pursues lasting change by supporting grassroots and global human rights organizations in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean and by mobilizing supporters in the U.S. to advocate for global justice. Working together, the AJWS community strives to build a more just and equitable world.
American Jewish World Service is the first and only Jewish organization dedicated solely to ending poverty and promoting human rights in the developing world. Through philanthropy and advocacy, we've addressed some of the gravest global problems of our time—genocide, AIDS, violence against women and girls, hatred of LGBT people, and the horrific consequences of natural and human-made disasters.
Overview of Position
AJWS seeks a skilled Board Liaison to support the work of the AJWS Board of Trustees. The ideal candidate for this position will have a deep commitment to AJWS's mission, a keen mind, high energy and the ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks carefully and quickly. The individual must be comfortable interacting with the AJWS Board of Trustees, donors and senior-level professionals and must have strong interpersonal skills to manage complex situations with good judgment, discretion and tact. The Board Liaison will be highly collaborative and demonstrate excellent writing, editing and critical-thinking skills, and must take initiative to anticipate problems and innovate creative solutions and know when to elevate a concern and how to do so appropriately. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail are essential.
The Board Liaison will be exposed to all aspects of the AJWS Board and will serve as the key point-person between the board and staff and is responsible for corresponding with board members and planning committee meetings and board meetings. The Board Liaison will also support board members in the stewarding of major donors. They will have a unique opportunity to be exposed to AJWS’s overarching vision and mission as well as the work of all the organizational divisions: Communications, Development, Finance and Administration, Programs and Strategic Learning Research and Evaluation.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Manage AJWS board meetings and work with board and staff leadership to prepare board meeting agendas, all board meeting materials, and all meeting logistics;
· Organize special events for the board, such as meetings, dinners, networking events, trainings, and speaking opportunities in conjunction with divisional teams;
· Support the board chair in all aspects of their role;
· Support fundraising efforts for President & CEO, Executive Vice President and the board including pulling data from Raiser’s Edge and coordinating donor meetings as needed;
· Develop and maintain systems to maximize board effectiveness, including managing Diligent (AJWS’s board book software);
· Edit and draft written materials to the board and manage seamless coordination of all internal board communication systems;
· Coordinate with Communications to maintain letterhead and website bios;
· Organize all meetings and material for the Board Governance Committee, as well as other committees, task forces and working groups when assigned;
· Transcribe, edit and distribute all board meeting minutes and ensure timely follow up from all board meetings and select committee meetings;
· Schedule meetings with and for board members as needed;
· Draft and edit written materials to the board including letters of thanks, speeches and acknowledgements to all trustee members;
· Work with the Executive Office to develop a working relationship between Board and staff that is aligned with leadership’s vision for the organization and for the Board;
· Assist in preparation of meetings for the President & CEO and Executive Vice President, coordinating logistics, materials preparation, and any necessary follow up; and
· Transcribe and draft correspondence with internal and external colleagues.
· BA/BS or equivalent degree required;
· 4+ years’ experience providing administrative support in a dynamic, high-energy environment;
· Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills;
· High emotional intelligence and a pleasant demeanor with exceptional interpersonal skills;
· Track record of demonstrating sound judgment by making appropriate decisions and knowing when to take initiative;
· High level of professionalism with the ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information;
· Exceptionally organized, detail-oriented and able to manage multiple complex tasks;
· Flexible work style with the ability to work under tight deadlines and with shifting priorities.
· Creative and conceptual with an ability to “think outside the box”;
· Excitement about learning and collaborating with a busy executive office;
· Previous experience in the non-profit sector is a plus;
· Proficient in Microsoft Office applications;
· Ability and willingness to work occasional late evenings and weekend work; and
· Commitment to AJWS’s mission and issues of global social justice.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please attach your resume and cover letter within the application. Applications submitted without a personalized cover letter will not be considered.
AJWS is an equal opportunity employer and provides competitive salaries and benefits.
People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with AJWS. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.