Details: For experienced writer/social media/editor we will increase salary
1902 18th St NW
Job Opening: Middle East Bookstore Director
Would you like to be a part of our hard-working team? Are you a talented, driven person who is obsessed with the Middle East? The Washington Report on Middle East Affairs has a position immediately available. Please pass this job description to your friends and associates, preferably those already living in the Washington, DC metro area.
The American Educational Trust (AET) is a non-profit foundation incorporated in Washington, DC in 1982 by retired U.S. foreign service officers to provide the American public with balanced and accurate information concerning U.S. relations with Middle Eastern states. As part of its educational mission, AET publishes the Washington Report on Middle East Affairs, a magazine published seven times per year in Washington, DC, and maintains a bookstore, Middle East Books and More.
The Washington Report publishes insightful analysis of the political, economic and historical realities of the U.S.-Middle East relationship. Our magazine is packed with special reports on the Israeli-Palestinian peace process, current Middle East issues, and grassroots activism in the U.S. and abroad.
Book Store Description:
Established in 1992, 10 years after the Washington Report on Middle East Affairs, Middle East Books and More is now a non-profit hub for Middle Eastern books and culture. We are located in a storefront in Adams Morgan, Washington, DC, below the Washington Report magazine’s offices. More and more shoppers strolling along the busy 18th Street restaurant corridor are discovering our shop full of Palestinian pottery, olive oil and soaps. They stay to browse bookshelves brimming with the latest books focusing on U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East and North Africa, cookbooks, children’s books and much, much more.
Our Web site, www.middleeastbooks.com, is a vital part of Middle East Books and More. On it you’ll find a wide selection of products, which we can mail to visitors from around the world.
Our mission is to encourage better U.S.-Middle East understanding, with an emphasis on informed debate on the Arab-Israeli peace process. In 2004 we expanded our mission to help Palestinian businesses survive by promoting the sale of Palestinian pottery, embroidery, olive oil and other traditional crafts. AET’s Middle East Books and More’s traveling booth is now a favorite stop for attendees at Middle East conferences and other events.
About the Position:
The bookstore director is responsible for managing the bookstore operations, including purchasing, inventory management, revenue tracking and online sales fulfillment. The director regularly selects and writes or commissions reviews for new books and films, and attends local book signings and film festivals. The director also fills orders, updates the store’s website, staffs booths at conferences and fairs, and makes sure the store looks inviting.
Hours: Working hours are 11 am to 7 pm, Wednesday through Sunday. The store is open from 10 am to 6 pm on Monday, and 11-7, Tues.-Sun.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Select and order new titles and Palestinian handicrafts to carry in the bookstore.
2. Recommend books to customers.
3. Update bookstore Website, <middleeastbooks.com>.
4. Compile an accurate inventory twice a year.
5. Collaborate with the director of finance and administration on invoice and tax payments, profit-and-loss reports.
6. Manage consignment sales, relationships and payments.
7. Order fulfillment based on online, phone and mail orders.
8. Engage with customers and other stakeholders via store foot traffic, phone calls and e-mail.
9. Train and supervise interns.
10. Magazine Responsibilities:
a.) writing short reviews (500-1,000 words) for new bookstore additions.
b.) responsible for subcontracting reviews from other writers.
c.) writing up local book talks.
d.) Responsible for compiling obituaries for each issue of the Washington Report. e.) Proof-reading the magazine and editing intern articles.
11. Organize and publicize bookstore events, open houses, readings, book talks and film screenings.
12. Conduct e-mail campaigns to advertise bookstore products and events.
13. Pack up, transport and staff our popular Middle East Books and More booth at various conferences.
Solicit and oversee exhibitors for annual conference.
Qualifications We’re Looking for in a Candidate:
1. Passion for peace in the Middle East and understanding closer to home;
2. University degree;
3. Experience in retail sales or management and customer service skills;
4. Excellent writing abilities;
5. Comfortable with social media, Web site management, and accurately maintaining a Shopify computerized inventory system;
6. Must be able to multi-task, set goals, and work with minimal guidance;
7. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
These Additional Talents Would Be a Plus:
1. Knowledge of Arabic (we have added Arabic titles to our book inventory);
2. Interest in updating and expanding website and social media outreach;
3. Interest in expanding bookstore into a coffee shop (licensing and fund-raising required);
4. Experience in graphic design and web editing software (Quark, Adobe Photoshop and Dreamweaver).
Good health care/leave plans
Level of Language Proficiency
Arabic, basic (not required)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should e-mail their resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: email@example.com and mention Bookstore Director in their subject line. Please also include a writing sample and three references.