About Leadership for Educational Equity
Leadership for Educational Equity is a nonprofit leadership development organization inspiring and supporting a network of civic leaders to eradicate the injustice of educational inequity.
Through one-on-one coaching, fellowships, workshops, and resources, LEE works to develop and inspire its members individually and collectively, across all disciplines – as policy makers, advocates, elected leaders and community organizers. LEE membership is free and currently open to all Teach For America corps members and alumni. LEE believes that when a diverse group of leaders, grounded in a commitment to equity, are in leadership roles, they will serve as a transformative force for and with students and communities.
LEE is a diverse team of passionate and talented individuals committed to making a difference. We are a high-growth, results-oriented organization that operates in an entrepreneurial environment deeply invested in continuous improvement. LEE is honored to have been selected as a LATINA Style 50 Award recipient and a “When Work Works” award recipient. We are also an Employer of National Service.
If you would like to become part of our team and join the fight for educational equity, or if you would simply like to learn more, please visit educationalequity.org.
LEE seeks a visionary, execution-oriented, entrepreneurial and innovative Senior Vice President of Supporter Relations, Marketing, and Communications. This Senior Vice President (SVP) reports directly to the Executive Director and is a member of the Management team.
As the leader of this team at LEE, the SVP will drive the vision, strategy, and execution to grow the number of people who are true believers in LEE’s work to develop civic leaders. The SVP and the their team works with LEE leadership, staff, our Board, members, and key partners to achieve overarching objectives:
- Drive development/fundraising for an impactful LEE. Engage with promising individuals and philanthropic organizations who align with our values to grow long term support for LEE’s work. Specifically, LEE’s current annual budget is ~$25-30M and we hope to grow the budget to $35-$40M (while growing our impact dramatically). Assist with broader partnership efforts.
- Grow LEE’s communication capabilities and brand strength. Develop and execute various/varied communications approaches to engage LEE members in civic leadership. Engage with external stakeholders by communicating the work and story of LEE in an honest, compelling, and powerful way that produces understanding, trust, partnership, and support. Grow the LEE brand internally with LEE members and externally with a select set of stakeholders.
- Collaborate across teams for optimal impact. Work across teams to foster collaboration with the comms/marketing and supporter relations efforts.
The SVP will have the following direct reports:
- Vice President, Communications
- Vice President, Supporter Relations
The ideal candidate will be a values-oriented executive who approaches their work through a diversity, equity and inclusion lens and will collaborate across the organization for the success of their team and LEE. The SVP will work closely with all LEE teams to maximize the scale of our work. As a high visibility external and internal leader at LEE, the SVP will have a deep personal and professional connection with LEE’s core values. Finally, this candidate will demonstrate the following competencies in their day-to-day work:
- Set vision, strategy and direction: Motivate colleagues and staff toward a common vision and strategy aligned with LEE’s goals. Develop the team and workstreams in service of this vision.
- Strategic Thinking: Identify growth areas and develop/deliver solutions to advance the mission and grow our impact. Identify opportunities and risks for delivering LEE’s services and create space for innovation and technology integration.
- Relationship and Team Building: Develop and cultivate beneficial internal and external relationships and networks in order to advance organizational strategy and impact. Build an effective team of 15+ staff and manage execution to take action within and across teams to execute regional strategy and organizational goals through effective project management tools and a spirit of collaboration.
- Influence and Alignment: Develop trusting rapport and influence with internal and external stakeholders to achieve greater impact and advance mission.
- Effective Communication and Facilitation: Engage colleagues and staff effectively in a manner that reflects an understanding of the needs of the audience and an orientation toward solutions and outcomes.
Position Location: Flexible
Travel Requirements: Up to 50% (travel frequency may vary/increase during the first year of employment or given organizational priorities and meetings and, obviously, travel is dependent on overall health and safety factors (LEE is not traveling through 6/21))
Development & Supporter Relations (40%)
- Set direction, vision and strategy for Supporter Relations team by partnering with the Executive Director and Leadership team to grow supporters to enhance the organization's reach, relationships, and funding
- Design and refine a comprehensive supporter relations program and appropriate engagement strategies aligned to LEE’s vision and goals
- Execute/lead key parts of the supporter relations strategies -- create opportunities, initial meetings, crafting partnerships, steward and grow relationships.
- Manage the VP, Supporter Relations who oversees a team of ~5 staff
Communications & Marketing (40%)
- Set direction, vision and strategy for the Communications/Marketing team to grow LEE’s engagement with LEE members and LEE’s engagement with external audiences
- Manage the VP, Communications who oversees a team of 7 staff
- Continue to develop and execute strategic communications and marketing plans to support the organization's mission, goals and objectives
- Drive strategy and message development across the organization to develop various, meaningful ways to increase member interest in civic leadership as a pathway to the impact they aspire to have and, thus, engagement with LEE.
- Build a broad network of surrogates (and potentially represent LEE as a spokesperson)
- Steward and promote consistency of messaging across the organization
Organizational Stewardship (20%)
- As part of the Management Team, set development and communications direction for LEE
- Develop annual budget and strategic goals for supporter relations and communications team that are aligned with organizational goals
- Build an inclusive team culture that values diverse perspectives and inspires team members to produce high-quality outputs for impact
- Develop and maintain a cohesive organizational narrative that drives organizational wide impact
- Collaborate across the organization to improve the work of Supporter Relations and Marketing/Comms.
- Collaborate across the organization to improve the work of the LEE.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum 10 years of relevant professional work experience with 5 years of management experience
- Hands on, proven leader in development work with demonstrated experience securing financial gifts of $1M or greater
- Enthusiasm and proven ability to engage others in a compelling, persuasive manner and build relationships around mission and vision
- Knowledge and experience in ideally at least one of the following: Development, Marketing, Communications. The candidate must demonstrate experience and understanding of the other areas where they have less experience
- Excellent managerial, interpersonal and networking skills, as well as the ability to establish and maintain professional relationships
- Proven ability to operate and thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Demonstrated success in people leadership in a matrixed organization with an ability to get involved in multiple functional areas
- Comfortable leading a team through rapidly changing circumstances, priorities and goals
- Ability to communicate and collaborate within a geographically dispersed team
- Strong, demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity & inclusion and anti-racism specifically
- Deep passion for educational equity and belief in LEE’s mission and theory of change
- Experience working for a 501(c)4 non-profit or 501(c)3
- Master’s degree in relevant field (e.g., MBA)
- Experience leading teams and individuals in a geographically dispersed work environment