343 Second Street
We are looking for an experienced and organized Human Resources Assistant to support a small HR team. This individual should be someone who enjoys a variety of work, has great judgment, and the desire to contribute to a HR team and the work of the Foundation.
We are a family foundation that is guided by the enduring business philosophy and personal values of Lucile and David Packard, who helped found one of the world’s leading technology companies. Their approach to business and community participation has guided our philanthropy for more than 50 years. Today, their children and grandchildren continue to help guide the work of the David and Lucile Packard Foundation (Foundation). We make grants at the local, state, national, and international level and are located in downtown Los Altos. In 2018, we expect to make grantmaking awards of over $300M.
We work on the issues our founders cared about most, which are improving the lives of children; enabling the creative pursuit of science; advancing reproductive health; conserving and restoring the earth’s natural systems, and supporting and strengthening an array of local nonprofit organizations
A staff of 130 conducts the day-to-day operations of the Foundation and a Board of Trustees oversees the work of the Foundation. David and Lucile Packard passed onto the Foundation the following core set of values: integrity, respect for all people, belief in individual leadership, commitment to effectiveness, and the capacity to think big.
Human Resources Assistant Position
We are a cohesive team who work to ensure that we provide effective human resources support to the Foundation. We work to communicate clearly and ensure that we offer competitive, relevant, and strong benefits and compensation. This position supports the team by performing administrative duties to assist the HR Director, staffing, staff communications, payroll, benefits, learning, and development.
· In addition to assisting the Payroll and HRIS Manager; maintain ability to complete a payroll cycle, support leaves, and process terminations
· Assist with biweekly time and attendance process; audit timecards utilizing knowledge of CA and Federal wage and hour laws
· Train employees on time and attendance process as part of new employee orientation
· Maintain the filing and organization of employee files and records following the Foundation Record Retention and Destruction policy
· Complete employment verification requests in an accurate and timely manner
· Responsible for the tuition assistance program
· Post jobs and support the staffing process
· Assemble new hire and orientation packets
· Input employment background data and oversee process
· Serve as first-line of HR support for employees
· Maintain HR resources and post HR announcements on Foundation Intranet
· Manage calendar for HR Director, including screening calendar requests and scheduling meetings
· Maintain the HR team calendar
· Track and reconcile expenses with the monthly budget report; reconcile expenses and forecast annual budget review and submission
· Run and distribute month-end reports for Finance, Controller’s Office, Travel Data, and provide various HR documentation
· Code and process HR invoices for payment
· Work to establish compliant vendor relationships and manage agreement timelines for HR
· Audit detailed information with benefits, payroll, and government requests
· Assist with annual and periodic data audits
· Assist with quarterly reports, multiple worksite and other reports, as requested
· Other work and projects as assigned
Skills and Requirements
· Reliable, takes initiative, and focuses on automated and efficient processes
· Excellent judgment skills with the ability to handle confidential and sensitive information effectively and with discretion
· Payroll support work experience; ADP experience desired
· Demonstrated ability to anticipate information needed as work develops
· Able to work in a changing and interruption oriented work environment
· Excellent written and oral communication skills with attention to written grammar
· Excellent systems skills, including proficiency in Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint
· Flexible and able to take feedback and direction with ease
· Detailed and maintains a high degree of accuracy in accomplishing multiple tasks well within deadlines
· Demonstrated skills in working well and flexibly as a team member in varied activities and projects
· Ability to work independently and on a team, manage time efficiently and meet timelines, handle and prioritize multiple tasks, and remain calm and constructive under pressure
· Organizes work for easy retrieval, back up, and reporting and use; develops tracking systems
· Builds and maintains relationships that smooth work internally with other departments and works well with others in a courteous, culturally sensitive, and tactful manner
· Consistent, dependable, and able to work occasional overtime
· Interest in the work of the Foundation desired
Candidate must have the ability to communicate via voice telephone, read and understand written communication, and generate written communication manually and using a computer. Candidate must also be able to work at a desk for long periods of time (2-3 hours), lift and move documents and supplies (not to exceed 20 lbs.), and bend to file or retrieve documents.
Education and Experience
BA degree preferred or equivalent education and related work experience. Minimum of 3 years of administrative support work experience. HR support and experience in payroll strongly preferred.
Benefits and Compensation
The Foundation offers an excellent benefits package and a salary that is commensurate with related work experience. The position is full-time, nonexempt, and located in downtown Los Altos, CA.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send an email referring to job number 18-12-1200R in the subject line with a one-page resume and a one-page cover letter explaining your interest in this position and how your skills and work experience fit the position to email@example.com.
No phone inquiries, please.
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool.
The Foundation uses an outside firm to check the accuracy of information supplied by applicants.
Principal applicants, only.
More information about the Foundation can be found at www.packard.org.