Civic Influencers is a national nonpartisan nonprofit operating across the country, on and off campus, in local communities and states, that empowers young people to build their civic power and increase voting rates amongst their peers. They frame their work through an Organizing, Advocacy and Learning model that equips young people with the skills to dismantle barriers to voting while developing their identities as voters and participants in our democracy.
Reports to: Data Scientist
Classification: Full-time Exempt
Location: Remote work from any location in the US
Travel: Some travel required
Civic Influencers is seeking a Data Management Assistant with experience in data research, management and analysis who will be responsible for collecting, organizing and analyzing key data points and trends regarding youth voter suppression legislation and laws from across the country. They will apply their skills to manage a visual dashboard of voter suppression legislation and laws -- including indicators, indexes and toolkits -- to maintain Civic Influencers’ tool for measuring youth voter suppression. Reporting to the Data Scientist, the subsequent tasks and duties will fall within the following buckets across the Data & Information Team, including:
Data Collection & Management
- Analyze quantitative and qualitative data using software and manual manipulation techniques. Interprets and presents results to Civic Influencers staff and stakeholders using graphs, charts, etc.
- Develop new data sets and queries as needed to respond to the rapidly changing voter suppression landscape.
- Audit databases to identify actual or potential data integrity issues (i.e. duplicates, errors, untimely entries, etc.). Conducts research and consults with staff to determine the best course of action to handle issue(s). Develops databases for teams as needed.
- Extract and manipulate data from internal and external databases on a routine and ad hoc basis. Develops and delivers usable reports and presentations to Civic Influencers teams and stakeholders regarding analysis results.
- Develop program evaluation plans, processes, and instruments. Coordinates implementation and monitoring of evaluation plans. Advises teams on data setup.
- Write codes to identify, analyze, and interpret trends and patterns in complex data sets.
- Participate in the development and maintenance of organization-wide databases and data collection systems needed for data storage or processing
- Partner with other Information Team staff to develop and implement data collection systems and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and data quality.
- Work with Executive Leadership, Statewide Organizers and Fellows across Civic Influencers to provide technical assistance to maintain data integrity.
- Weekly, conduct analysis on predefined data sets and sources from data tool to provide timely and relevant information for Civic Influencers’s strategy.
- Coordinate and execute cross-departmental reporting and data visualization initiatives as assigned by leadership.
- In collaboration with the Blue Ribbon Panel and stakeholders across Civic Influencers, create reports to demonstrate the impact of work across the youth civic landscape.
Data Training & Learning
- Participate in Tableau training modules to learn best practices for building out digestible indexes and toolkits.
- Participate in additional external trainings and modules to stay abreast of best practices in data management to ensure Civic Influencers is utilizing current tools.
- Provide training to Civic Influencers Staff and Fellows on data tool design and how to input data collected from the field into the matrix accurately.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Data Science, Computer Science, statistics, mathematics, epidemiology or a related field preferred.
- 2+ years of experience in data collection and analysis, including familiarity with common database, statistical, and geographic analysis software such as SAS, R, SQL and GIS programs.
- Knowledge and experience with utilizing Salesforce and Tableau programs.
- Experience and interest in training novice data staff to understand and properly utilize data management tools.
- Mathematical aptitude necessary to perform statistical analysis.
- Proficient on Google Suite, including Google Sheets and Google Slides.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills; including the ability to communicate effectively and professionally with other staff, partner organizations, elected and appointed officials, corporate/business representatives, and community members.
- Commitment to transparency, accountability, and direct communication.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and tight deadlines.
- Ability to manage highly sensitive, confidential information using excellent judgment at all times.
- Must have a commitment to DEI and cultural competency, including an awareness of one's own cultural worldview, a welcoming attitude towards cultural differences, an appreciative knowledge of different cultural practices and worldviews, and cross-cultural skills.
- Experience working in a movement organization, including ones focused on Voting Rights, Social Justice, Civil Rights or Youth.
- Experience working with or within a higher education institution, People of Color Serving Institutions (PoCSIs, e.g., HSIs and HBCUs a plus).
- Fluent in multiple languages a plus.
- Must complete data visualization and data gathering trainings hosted by Tableau, and other trainings as required.
- Extremely reliable and available on evenings and weekends for occasional events and conferences.
Start Date: For immediate consideration.
Civic Influencers is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, disability or class. We value diversity on our team and strongly encourage people of color, Indigenous people, LGBTQIA individuals, people with disabilities and all qualified persons to apply for our open positions.