1300 South Lake Shore Drive
Public Safety and Operations Manager
Did you know there’s a planet in our galaxy where it rains glass? Or that light bounces around inside the Sun for 175,000 years before shooting off into space? That’s okay if you don’t – we have a team of staffers who do! If you think that’s freaking awesome, and you’re passionate about STEM, community outreach, education, and working in a welcoming environment, this might be the place for you!
The Adler Planetarium is seeking a Public Safety and Operations Manager to join our dynamic team located on Chicago's Museum Campus.
The Manager of Public Safety and Operations is responsible for facilitating an outstanding guest experience through the management of the Public Safety team, who ensures the safety and security of the Adler’s employees, guests, volunteers, and historic collections. This position collaborates with all departments within the organization to fully support a diverse range of activities and events at the Planetarium. The Public Safety and Operations Manager reports to the Director of Facilities and Public Safety, and is the lead manager on site on weekends. This individual will also be responsible for:
- Developing and coaching the Public Safety Team (full-time and part-time staff); Overseeing all aspects of management including hiring outstanding teammates and completing performance conversations
- Writing and implementing procedures/policies for activities related to public safety and facility management based on industry best practices, including emergency and evacuation activities
- Managing, modifying, and maximizing the use of building security systems, including proximity card readers, alarms (fire and intrusion), and video surveillance systems
- Managing all aspects of Adler public safety and security; Making real-time decisions when taking action for security issues, threats or concerns
- Coordinating workplace safety training including CPR/AED training certification and recertification for staff
- Serving as backup for Events Operations Manager or other operations functions as needed
This position requires working Saturdays and Sundays, and is the lead Operations Manager on the weekends. Evening work is sometimes required, primarily for events and maintenance activities
We are looking for a professional who is excited about the opportunity to lead the safety and security of an iconic Chicago landmark. They are comfortable working with a diverse audience, and ready to take advantage of the opportunity to provide direction and leadership to a team of tremendously talented people. This is a person who is able to strategize, set and meet goals, and be proactive. They have the ability to influence and positively impact and support various department’s needs towards meeting operational objectives.
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or equivalent work experience
- At least 3 years of management experience, including hiring, training, and day to day supervision of a security/public safety team
- Experience developing safety and facility management policies and procedures based on industry best practices
- Experience mitigating security risks and responding to safety and security incidents
- Exceptional team leadership, development, and coaching skills
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in guest experience
- Availability to work regularly on Saturdays and Sundays and some evenings as required
- Direct experience in a mid to large sized public environment serving 500,000+ guests annually
- Safety training and certification(s)
- Experience overseeing all aspects of security system technology
The Public Safety and Operations Manager is part of the Adler Operations department. The Operations Team is responsible for keeping the Adler building and guests secure and comfortable not only while entering and exiting the building, but also while exploring our many exhibits, shows and events. This group welcomes and interacts with our guests, vendors and staff as they patrol our 145,500 square foot building and surrounding grounds. They are always looking for ways to improve our little piece of the universe through outstanding customer service, communication, and accountability.
The Adler Planetarium is dedicated to complying with its obligations as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Our recruiting and hiring procedures are free of discrimination based on race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, covered veteran status, including disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans or any protected group status as defined by law.
Minimum Education Required