12 Overlook Avenue
CENTER FOR HOPE AND SAFETY (CHS) is seeking FAMILY LAW STAFF ATTORNEY.
Overview: Center for Hope and Safety (formerly Shelter Our Sisters) is a full service domestic violence agency in Bergen County. Founded in 1976, CHS offers a wide variety of services to survivors of domestic violence. The Family Law Staff Attorney will provide representation and/or advice and counsel in primarily divorce and custody actions, but also including orders of protection, emergent orders/appeals, and other family law matters as needed.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Provide all aspects of representation in divorce and custody hearings and other family law matters
- Assist and collaborate with staff attorneys regarding cases
- Must have a J.D. from an accredited law school and must be licensed to practice law in the State of New Jersey
- Must have a minimum of two years’ experience practicing law and experience in family law, specifically in divorce and custody matters
- Experience practicing immigration law highly desired
- Must possess excellent advocacy, litigation, and leadership skills
- Must have a car and a driver’s license.
- Bilingual language ability highly desired. (In particular, verbal fluency in Korean, Spanish or Arabic).
- Must have sensitivity and understanding of the issues facing victims of domestic violence and/or trauma.
- Must be an excellent communicator, both verbally and in writing, must have basic computer skills including proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite
- Individual must be motivated to learn, have self-initiative, and good organizational abilities
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Resourceful and a problem solver
- Must be able to use the Internet and other electronic forms of research and development, including LexisNexis.
- Mature, willingness to learn, strong initiative and leadership qualities, flexible and able to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing and willingness to communicate with non-English speaking individuals
Hours: Full time, 35 hours per week
Center for Hope and Safety is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and desires a diverse work force. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, persons who are elderly, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual language ability highly desired. (In particular, verbal fluency in Korean, Spanish or Arabic)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Only candidates we are interested in interviewing will be contacted.