30 Lafayette Avenue
Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM), an internationally recognized presenter of contemporary performing arts and cinema, is looking for our Program Assistant, Visual Art.
The Program Assistant will be expected to play a major role in helping the Curator of Visual Arts successfully implement exhibitions, screenings, performances, talks, and other public and private events by acting as an advocate and steward of the program. Effective and efficient articulation of program needs to internal and external stakeholders, including artists, is key. They will also provide additional administrative support to the fundraising initiatives of the department.
- Provide general administrative support to the Curator of Visual Arts, including: maintain calendars for BAM Visual Art installation and strike dates, external meeting schedules, tracking upcoming exhibitions of importance; organize and update BAM Visual Art project files; process and vet incoming BAM Visual Art mail and external solicitations via phone or email
- Oversee BAM Visual Art program and fundraising budgets, including: track expense and income budgets in coordination with the Fiscal and Finance departments of BAM; assist the Curator of Visual Arts in creating financial projection models and reports; prepare budget requests for upcoming fiscal years based on projected department expenses
- Assist with planning and implementing all Visual Art program-related activity in collaboration with Curator of Visual Arts, including liaising with artists, scheduling packing/delivery of artwork, drafting exhibition and didactic copy, and coordinating schedules with internal departments
- Provide support for the coordination of visual art programming related to other BAM programs. Develop standard procedures and protocol for proposing, vetting and producing such inter-departmental programs in consultation with Curator of Visual Arts.
- Manage and maintain collection inventory, including updating location moves and conducting general research to maintain proper details about all artworks in the collection
- Liaise with Production Department to implement installations and de-installations, including: generating work requests; overseeing installations; and managing incoming art deliveries
- Assist Marketing Department with BAM Visual Art marketing campaigns, including: generate design and print requests; monitor campaign timelines to ensure collateral is received by necessary parties in a timely manner; and submit email blast requests through the proper channels
- Provide occasional assistance for fundraising projects in collaboration with the Manager of Visual Arts Sales and Development, including: sales coordination and shipping; travel as necessary to art fairs to maintain strong fair booth presence and facilitate sales
- Provide general support for the annual Silent Auction to meet fundraising goals, including: correspond with and maintain good rapport with Auction Committee, donating artists, collectors and gallery owners as necessarily; assist in coordinating internal Marketing requests; assist with shipping and art pickups; assist with coordinating aspects of the exhibition installation, incorporating IT, Security, and front of house as necessary.
- Provide support for Special Events, Patron Services or other Development units as necessary
- Maintain relationship with the visual arts community in coordination with Curator of Visual Arts
- In addition to regular office hours, the BAM Visual Art Assistant/Coordinator is expected to be available to assist during BAM Visual Art events, which may occasionally occur in the evenings and on the weekend
- Travel as necessary to assist the Curator of Visual Arts at art fairs and other related events
- B.A. in art history, arts administration or related visual arts field, or equivalent work experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of visual arts
- Experience maintaining budgets and familiarity with nonprofit institutional fiscal processes
- Computer literacy in MS Excel, Word, & Outlook for PC
- Clear, precise, and professional communication and writing skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Motivated, team player
- Demonstrates an ability to navigate interdepartmental relationships
- Multitasks several concurrent projects successfully
- Knowledge of Contemporary Art and/or NYC-based artists
- Experience with Tessitura or similar fundraising software like Razor's Edge
- Experience with artwork exhibition logistics preferred
- General understanding of development and fundraising work preferred
Pay: This is a full-time hourly position. $18.89 per hour plus paid overtime. Comprehensive benefits package.
Application Instructions: must complete an online application through BAM's website - no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.
See what it's like to work at BAM on Twitter/Instagram: #SceneAtBAM
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Must complete an online application through BAM's website - no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.