Job Title: Chief Program Officer (CPO)
Reports To: Executive Director
Supervisory Responsibilities: Yes
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School's mission is to empower young adults (18-20 year-olds) to develop skills and connect to opportunities by fostering an environment of love, support, and respect for their whole person. Students graduate high school and successfully transition to college and career as critically conscious leaders, committed to positive change for themselves and their communities.
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School provides an outstanding alternative education that activates the capacity of all students to learn, achieve and grow. YBPCS will be recognized as a model of authentic experiential learning, not only among programs serving out-of-school youth, but also among all high-achieving schools and youth programs in the country.
High expectations, a nurturing climate, personalized culture and rigorous real world learning experiences ensures that graduates are poised for life-long learning and career advancement. It is our vision that YouthBuild graduates will emerge as highly accomplished, self-sufficient, self-aware and socially conscious citizens. Graduates will be energized about their futures and build support networks for their personal, social and emotional health and well-being.
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School will maximize its capacity to engage each student’s passion, tap into his or her individual potential and provide him or her with real opportunities for personal and professional transformation.
YBPCS’ values are deeply held and come from a love of humanity and a perspective that views each student as a community asset. The program’s three core values - respect, excellence and perseverance – are reinforced through all aspects of the program.
Young people in Philadelphia who are disconnected will build skills and access resources and opportunities to achieve economic stability and personal development, and become critically conscious leaders within their communities.
The Chief Program Officer at YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School will articulate and implement the strategic vision and leadership of the school.
This individual provides leadership to a significant portfolio of programming and related services and partnerships, including but not limited to, programming within the three year continuum at YouthBuild (recruitment- Year Zero), Year 1 (core programming), and alumni programming (Year 2).
The Chief Program officer facilitates the intentional collaboration of program directors and a multi-million dollar programming budget in a way that further advances the school’s mission and achieves our school-wide benchmarks for impact.
The CPO provides high quality supervision, coaching, and professional development for staff and as supervisor with the directors of Curriculum & Instruction, Workforce Development, Specialized Services, Student Life, Student Success, and Program Operations.
As a critical member of the Senior Leadership Team, this individual collaborates with the team to provide school-wide oversight that ensures that YouthBuild is fully living out its core values in an effort to achieve our mission.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide leadership and vision for YouthBuild program directors to improve and sustain annual enrollment, retention and graduation rates.
- Inform the school’s professional development strategy to ensure that all staff across YouthBuild have access to the training, coaching, and practice needed to build and sustain relationships and respond appropriately to student choices that may interfere with their success.
- Enhance the program design and delivery by staying abreast of best practices in youth development, education, and workforce development.
- Lead evolution of outreach & recruitment work with students (new applicants and new enrollees) into our school community each year, in coordination with the program team.
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors Program Committee Chair to oversee the Program Committee, including but not limited to managing committee membership and, leading quarterly Program Committee meetings intended to enhance program implementation and standards, as well as to keep the Board informed of developments and progress.
- Lead the diversification of organizational revenue streams through the management of YouthBuild’s social enterprise, the Stomping Grounds Cafe.
- Effectively supervise and support the professional growth of 6 program directors.
- Establish annual program, departmental and staff goals and objectives and track results against these goals as well as accountability protocols.
- Oversee the coordination, integration, and delivery of all programs, contracts and related services, promoting collaborative relationships between program areas and ensuring that the expectations of funders, partners, constituents, clients, and other stakeholders are consistently met.
- Practice and model fair process for communicating proactive and timely management decisions about programming with staff, students, alumni and partners.
- Ensure that evolution of academic and career competencies aligns with feedback from employer and postsecondary partners.
- Ensure access to mission critical and mutually beneficial partnership opportunities that expands YouthBuild’s capacity to deliver high quality programming and enables the program team to meet and exceed targets for enrollment, barrier reduction, skill development, and placement and retention post graduation.
- Collaborate effectively and proactively with Senior Leadership Team members, directors, staff and partners to further build and maintain effectively functioning teams engaged toward school goals.
- Reflect school-wide commitment to developing critical consciousness with young leaders via deep consideration of social identities and racial literacy priorities.
- Ensure that all program directors are using data to drive decisions, monitor and improve the school’s performance.
- Manage, with fiduciary responsibility, a multi-million dollar operating budget for programming to ensure that financial decisions are strategic and are connected to schoolwide and departmental benchmarks.
- Ensure organizational compliance with relevant governmental and grant-funder regulations.
- In partnership with the Human Resources Department, manage recruitment, employment, and termination of Program Directors in compliance with applicable employment laws.
- Represent YouthBuild at public events and interface with partners and funders, as necessary.
- Mentor YB students/alumni and consistently engage directly with young people in school-wide spaces.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Principal’s Certification - Highly desirable
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience, and at least eight years of supervisory experience in a non-profit environment.
- Demonstrated experience managing a high-performing team in a multi-site structure in a way that motivated staff through effective leadership, mentoring, coaching, development, and evaluation.
- Comprehensive working knowledge of program planning, organizational structure, budgeting, administrative operations, and fundraising.
- Demonstrated commitment to youth development, education, career development and advancement.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to think strategically and analyze critically complex data in order to put ideas and insights into action through well-planned programming.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral with the ability to represent the organization externally across a wide range of stakeholders and constituencies.
- Strong relationship builder with the ability to find common ground, build consensus, and strengthen collaboration among diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to successfully navigate in a fast-paced, outcomes-driven and entrepreneurial environment.
- Thinks broads, recognizing the impact of decisions and actions on the entire organization and its stakeholders.
- Consistently makes strategic decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment.
- Resourceful and able to find creative solutions, thinking beyond current systems and approaches toward continuous improvement.
- Mission driven to work with YB’s student body
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office skills
- Advanced Google Suite skills
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Demonstrated values that align to restorative practices
- Willingness to prioritize data collection, analysis, and sharing
- Willingness to reflect on impact data and incorporate that information into routine decision-making
- Leadership, Management and Supervision Experience, Passion, and Ability
The cover letter should include the following elements:
- Why you are interested in this specific position and YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School
- Any additional professional and/or personal experience that informs your qualifications for this position, that is not otherwise obvious from your resume
- Your salary requirements
Note: If selected, you will be required to reproduce the following items on the first day of employment.
- FBI - Criminal History Report
- PATCH - Pennsylvania Police Department - Criminal Background Check (and/or applicable based on State of residency)
- PA Child Abuse History Clearance
- TB Test Results
- Act 24 - Arrest Conviction Form
- NSOPW - National Sex Offender Clearance
The HR Department will provide the selected candidate with additional details regarding clearances and other job requirements.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, medical condition, veteran status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.