Details: (Commensurate with education and experience)
44 Canal Center Plaza,
REQUISITION NUMBER: 1192
JOB TITLE: Assistant Director
TEAM: Finance Department
SUPERVISOR: Director of Finance
LOCATION: Alexandria, VA
The International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) is a fast-growing international organization working to advance the law enforcement profession through advocacy, outreach, education and programs.
IACP is seeking a talented leader to provide financial oversight for all aspects of financial reporting and compliance, accounting services, grants accounting and tax compliance. The Assistant Director of Finance will help to lead the accounting organization, including the finance staff and will be the primary liaison with external auditors. This individual will foster financial leadership, efficiency, systemization and discipline throughout the organization.
The Assistant Director of Finance provides leadership to ensure compliance with annual budgets, provides analysis of spending trends in order to identify potential cost savings. Also, ensures that funds are utilized in accordance with policies and approved spending limits. The Assistant Director of Finance ensures all IACP teams are supported with accurate accounting and financial reporting and will ensure excellent levels of accounting services to IACP employees and stakeholders. The Assistant Director of Finance will ensure compliance with accounting and reporting requirements for all government and non-government grants, including reporting to partner offices related to those grants.
This position is located in Alexandria, Virginia, at the IACP Headquarters and reports to the Director of Finance.
Financial Stewardship and Strategy for Growth:
- Evaluate current practices and policies. Drive continuous improvement, research and analyze accounting matters and positions;
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and partner with others to achieve efficiencies;
- Work closely with the Director of Finance to ensure organizational decisions, actions and communications are in support of agreed upon goals;
- Balance strategic objectives with tactical execution to achieve results;
- Lead efforts to strengthen our financial systems including enhancements to our AMS system.
- Provide management reporting to highlight risks, opportunities and to support strategic decision-making;
- Manage the impact of funding decisions, the structure of funding and timing of funding on strategic cash flow analysis (not Financial Statement cash flow) for the organization; and
- Lead in providing solutions and in bridge-building between Finance and other teams. Develop creative solutions while ensuring compliance.
Financial Reporting and Compliance:
- Prepare financial reporting for IACP senior leadership and the IACP Financial Review Committee of the Board of Directors;
- Oversee internal and external financial reporting, including consolidations, providing a precise review of current financial position and ensuring the integrity of information;
- Monitor the progress of audits and ensure that the finance team is proactively engaging with external auditors during financial audits;
- Direct preparation of federal filings ensuring accuracy in required informational reporting;
- Establish and implement accounting policies and procedures in accordance with U.S. GAAP, IRS regulations, and IACP standards;
- Ensure compliance with all accounting and reporting requirements for U.S. Government and non-governmental grants;
Manage monthly closing process to ensure accurate and timely preparation of supporting schedules, annual financial statements, audit and tax compliance and preparation
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in accounting or finance
- Advanced degree in accounting, business, finance, or a related field
- CPA required
Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 10 years work experience in leading the accounting organization for an international nonprofit, with multiple projects and demonstrated accounting and financial analysis experience;
- Strong leadership experience - building teams, collaboration, and influence within the organization;
- Prior demonstrated experience in building and developing a highly talented and customer-service oriented team that is committed to excellence;
- Ability to provide Managerial oversight to a team of 10 to 15 staff, including indirect (matrixed staff) and remote staff to ensure productivity, excellence, alignment and professional development;
- Prior experience in grants accounting and compliance (U.S. federal grants and other international and foundation grants);
- Not-for-profit accounting experience required;
- Extensive experience in international finance and compliance; including experience in financial reporting across multiple countries and in a variety of currencies with prior exposure to legal entity accounting and reporting requirements in various countries;
- Superior knowledge of GAAP and IRS regulations regarding 501 (c) (3) organizations and experience as the lead on general ledger, audit, and tax;
- Analytical, lateral and linear thinker with good professional judgment;
- Detail-oriented, and leads to effective outcomes and decisions;
- Exceptional oral and written presentation and communication skills;
- Adaptive, appropriately assertive, highly organized and autonomous;
- Proficient with various financial systems and demonstrated ability to seek innovative utilization of technology to streamline financial processes; and
- Experience with AMS systems required.
All interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and salary history.
All cover letters must contain the name of the position being applied for as well as the requisition number. Please note that applications received without all the requested information will not be forwarded for review.
All applications must be received by September 21, 2018.
EXTERNAL CANDIDATES: Please apply using the following URL:
-OR- apply through our website at www.theiacp.org. EOE M/F
The International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) offers a generous benefits package to its core staff to include: Competitive Salary; Paid Annual & Sick Leave; 10 paid holidays per year; Health/Vision/Dental Coverage (premiums mostly paid by IACP); Life Insurance/AD&D, 2x salary (100% of premiums paid by IACP); Short & Long Term Disability Coverage (100% of premiums paid by IACP); Parking/Transportation Subsidy; 403 (B) Retirement Savings Plan; Flexible Spending Account – Medical & Dependent Care; Direct Deposit; Free Gym Access
The IACP is an equal opportunity employer. Federal law prohibits discrimination in employment practices on the basis of race, color, religious affiliation, national origin, sex, age, or disability. No information requested on this application will be used for the purpose of excluding any applicant’s consideration for employment because of his or her race, color, religion, national origin, sex, or disability.
Minimum Education Required