50 Milk Street
Who We Are
Founded in 2004, Root Cause is a nonprofit consulting firm that partners with nonprofits, foundations, and governments who are striving to improve life outcomes in education, health and financial well-being with a particular focus on eliminating disparities. For over a decade, Root Cause has pioneered efficient, evidence-driven approaches to strategic business planning, financial sustainability, and performance measurement. This history has shaped Root Cause’s current focus on facilitating strategic clarity and alignment, coordinated action, measurement capacity building, and evaluation, within and across multiple organizations. The Root Cause team is known for taking an approach that is collaborative and implementation-focused, using a team-based model that gives clients the expertise and conceptual skillsets typically found in management consulting firms combined with seasoned, hands-on nonprofit and business leadership experience. Together with its clients, Root Cause improves outcomes, grant-making and most importantly, people’s lives—faster, better, smarter, at greater scale. For more information, please visit: http://www.rootcause.org.
Root Cause is made up of passionate, smart, and collaborative people who have a diverse range of experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives. Our organizational culture is collegial, entrepreneurial, and flexible. Our small size and dynamic nature of work – combined with the urgency for action in the social sector – provide many opportunities to learn and grow professionally and to contribute to shaping our strategy, service delivery, and the development of Root Cause overall.
The Business Manager works in partnership with the Managing Director to ensure the smooth running of Root Cause’s day-to-day business. S/he is responsible for managing key processes in the following functional areas: finance, HR, technology, office management, and general administration.
In this role, the Business Manager works effectively with all members of the Root Cause team and key external vendors to design, implement and continuously improve the processes s/he manages. S/he handles a broad range of tasks through to completion with minimal oversight, and consistently takes a problem-solving, customer-service-oriented approach to all aspects of the job. The Business Manager provides appropriate communication, documentation, and training for Root Cause team members so they can participate in the processes s/he manages.
This position is half time with days and hours to be worked negotiable. While most work is conducted from our downtown Boston office, some work from home is also permitted. This is a 0.5 FTE position with commensurate benefits and paid vacation.
- Financial Management Support: Serves as the liaison with Root Cause’s external accounting team. Manages processes for employee expense reporting, accounting for client-related travel, invoicing, use of corporate credit cards, and payables. Reviews accounts receivable and follows up with clients/funders as needed. Manages the annual audit, working closing with the auditing firm and the accounting team.
- HR Administration: Manages a range of HR processes, including: general administrative on-boarding and off-boarding, personnel records/compliance, and benefits administration. Works in partnership with our external vendors. Identifies ways to improve HR administration.
- Employee Time Tracking: Oversees Root Cause’s time-tracking system to ensure that all staff keep accurate records of time on projects; Produces monthly reports to inform project management and operational decisions.
- Office Environment: Serves as a main contact for the Cambridge Innovation Center, our co-working vendor; In partnership with the Managing Director, ensures that the Root Cause Team is highly satisfied with the office environment, solicits feedback, and identifies ways to make improvements. Manages the process of engaging staff in social activities and manages our food/social activities budget. Oversees logistics for all-team meetings, retreats, and board meetings (i.e., scheduling, space, food, technology).
- Technology: Serves as lead administrator for Root Cause technology platforms. Responsible for technology purchasing, with oversight by the Managing Director. Manages relationships with technology vendors. Partners with Managing Director to identify ways to improve how we use technology to do our work and puts in place products/services appropriate to our size and business model. Leads and manages the implementation/use of technology tools. Manages inventory of technology equipment.
- General Administration: Helps to triage any and all administrative issues. Ensures appropriate business insurance and manages relationships with insurance vendors. Purchases office supplies. Manages in-coming and out-going mail.
- Other Projects & Tasks as Assigned: Leads and provides support for process improvement and system building projects as assigned.
Note: This description is not intended to be a complete statement of job content, rather to act as a guide to the essential functions performed. Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
What We Are Looking For
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, MBA a plus
- 6 - 10 years of professional work experience, managing the “back end” of professional services, coordinating events, and/or managing cross-functional projects
- Experience in a small-business environment
- Interest in the nonprofit / social sector
Knowledge & Skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to manage relationships at different levels, internally and externally
- Able to understand the linkages between strategy, business model and operational/administrative processes
- Able to work with significant autonomy
- Excellent judgment and critical thinking skills “in-the-moment” and ability to gauge when and how to engage other Root Cause team members in various processes
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Proficient Microsoft Office Skills (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Comfort learning new technology platforms/systems
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and manage multiple ongoing projects
- Strong problem-solving, planning, time management, and project management skills
- Strong customer-service orientation
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Using the online link below, please submit a resume and a cover letter specifying why you are interested in Root Cause and the position: http://www.rootcause.org/career-business-manager