The Center for Victims of Torture is hiring a Program Evaluation Advisor to work in partnership with independent torture treatment centers based around the world to help develop their capacity in assessing the effectiveness of their mental health and psychosocial services. The Program Evaluation Advisor does this by providing technical support, mentoring and training to partner center staff to develop effective monitoring, evaluation and learning systems, as part of a larger capacity-building program operated by the Center for Victims of Torture (CVT). The Program Evaluation Advisor may also support other CVT projects through internal evaluation and capacity-building activities.
- Capacity-Building and Training: Conduct initial and ongoing assessments of evaluation systems at partner centers, and develop plans to strengthen evaluation capacity. Train and mentor partner center staff on design, development, and implementation of evaluation activities through in-person and remote support. Collaborate with partner center staff to develop systems to ensure the collection and accurate interpretation of quality data. Support partner center staff in developing measures and methods. Conduct periodic visits to international partner centers. Support other capacity building projects at CVT.
- Content Development: Develop training materials, presentations, and manuals for remote consultation, workshops, and webinars to assist partner centers in implementing sound, culturally-appropriate evaluation programs.
- Reporting, Documentation and Dissemination: Prepare reports and document progress of the project. Document knowledge gained through the project. Present and disseminate findings of project outcomes individually and in collaboration with colleagues.
- Team Collaboration: Support collaboration and facilitate communication with all Partners in Trauma Healing (PATH) Project team members in order to ensure outcomes are achieved. Contribute to the internal evaluation of capacity building projects.
Required education, experience, certificates, licenses or registrations
- Master’s degree (or PhD) in Psychology, Sociology, Evaluation, Health Services Research, or related field in the social sciences or behavioral sciences.
- At least 5 years’ experience in program evaluation, data analysis, and the development and design of data collection tools.
- Experience with quantitative and qualitative evaluation and research methodologies.
- Experience developing and conducting trainings on program evaluation or research, in both in-person and web-based formats.
- Experience collaborating with diverse populations in an international or cross-cultural setting.
Preferred education, experience, certificates, licenses or registrations
- Experience working in the international development or humanitarian response sectors in monitoring and evaluation (M&E), knowledge management, or related field.
- Experience working with NGOs to foster program clarity (logic modeling, theory of change, etc.) and plan high-quality, rigorous evaluations and associated systems.
- Experience writing or collaborating on proposals, grants, and reports to funding entities.
- Experience documenting evaluation or research activities in professional outlets (e.g., reports, conference presentations, publications, etc.).
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Ability to assess and advise on ethical or other complex issues related to evaluation design and data protection.
- Ability to apply academic/theoretical ideas and knowledge in concrete, real-world, settings.
- Sufficient mastery to conduct and instruct in basic inferential statistics & psychometric analyses.
- Ability to conduct analyses using statistical software such as Stata, SPSS, R or SAS.
- Knowledge of psychological constructs, including mental health-related constructs.
- Ability to create written products for a wide range of audiences (excellent professional and technical writing skills, ability to adapt writing style and level to target audience).
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and maintain an organized and prioritized work load.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word and Excel).
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills.
- Excellent skills in organization, attention to detail and time management (including the ability to cope with multiple demands, manage priorities and meet deadlines).
- Interest in and commitment to human rights.
Minimum Education Required