5100 Wisconsin Ave, NW Suite 520
Position Title: Employment Specialist
Reports to: Assistant Director
Location: 5100 Wisconsin Ave NW, Suite 520, Washington, DC 20016
Friendship Place is nonprofit organization, serving the Washington, DC region, empowering individuals and families experiencing or at risk of homelessness to rebuild their lives with the involvement of the community. Friendship Place offers the most effective model for addressing homelessness, with innovative, customized programs that have positive, demonstrable results and a lasting impact on the community and beyond. Our programs are person-centric and individualized to meet the needs and goals of individuals, families, youth/young adults and Veterans experiencing homelessness. We provide outreach, hospitality, health care, case management, housing, job placement services, and advocacy. We have established a national presence and are known for sharing best practices in the field.
Under leadership of the AimHire Director and general supervision of the Assistant Director, the Employment Specialist provides employment services to young adults and adults at risk of or experiencing homelessness and will maintain a caseload of 25 participants. The Employment Specialist must be capable of working with participants of all ages from 17-60+ from varying backgrounds.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Ascertain participant employability by assessing participant’s education, work experience, and motivation; Assess other needs including housing, mental and medical health, and other barriers to stable employment
2. Provide job readiness training and preparation, including resume/cover letter writing, mock interview coaching, and networking tips; help participants develop and achieve career goal plans
3. Assist participants in obtaining education and certifications as needed that increase employability and are based on their career goals
4. Provide coaching and resources to help participants maintain stable employment
5. Collaborate with the Job Developer to connect participants to job opportunities with employer connections. Implements feedback from Job Developer in managing participant’s goal plans
1. Provide support to participants in navigating and accessing social services, including housing, mental health and medical health services
2. Create housing goal plans and assist participants in mitigating housing crises when possible
Outreach and Networking:
1. Communicate regularly and develop relationships with Friendship Place board members, especially board volunteers
2. Recruit new participants in employment and resource fairs
3. Develop and maintain partnerships with other service providers and employers
1. Analyzes program data and uses data trends to inform changes to service delivery and program processes and procedures
2. Regularly inputs necessary information into case management software; maintains and updates electronic and physical participant files in accordance with program policy and government grant compliance
3. Complete other tasks as assigned.
· Bachelor’s Degree that relates to job description
· At least 2 years prior work experience
· Workforce development experience preferred
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong attention to detail
· Strong decision-making and problem solving skills; ability to be flexible and implement innovative solutions that help participants achieve success
· Ability to prioritize tasks in a fast-paced dynamic environment
· Model professional behavior and maintain boundaries and participant confidentiality
· Ability to work with clients of all ages and from diverse backgrounds.
Majority of the time will be spent in the office; will need to occasionally travel offsite for job/resource fairs, fundraising events, participant job interviews and other workforce development activities
Will need to work occasional evening and weekend hours.
Background checks: The selected candidate will be required to pass a criminal history background check and/or fingerprinting.
Must have valid Driver’s license.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required