BUSINESS MANAGER (PART-TIME 15 HOURS PER WEEK)
- Job posted by First Presbyterian Church of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
2344 Center Street
We’re a “143-year old startup” in need of a creative “intrapreneur” to manage and mature the business and financial functions necessary to support the members, programs, and staff of a dynamic and growing church. We seek a business/ finance professional who thinks like a jazz musician – creating riffs, encouraging soloists, and coordinating ensembles alike to thrive in a climate of continuous change. You’ll also manage the operation of the church’s financial technology system(s) and any supporting vendors. You’ll find creative ways to enable strong volunteer support of the financial management process as needed. Judgment and independent decision making are important assets. You’ll need to be proficient in business management software applications and systems, such as word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, calendars, and databases and capable of learning new ones quickly.
- Manage and mature an effective, smoothly working business management office.
- Manage/coordinate financial processes with sensitivity to multiple stakeholders.
- Maintain technical systems & software that support the business and financial needs of the church within the limits of budgets provided largely by member donations.
- Manage all aspects of the General Ledger, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable and Payroll.
- Provide staff and Finance Committee support for the development, management, and review of the annual budget.
- Maintain accurate accounting records of all church operations and provide reports monthly and on request.
- Post to contribution records the weekly offerings/donations received physically and by electronic funds transfer.
- Provide quarterly and year-end giving statements to donors.
- Help to inspire volunteers who support the business management ministry.
- Work collaboratively and effectively with volunteers and church staff, as well as outside partners and vendors.
- Attend Finance Committee meetings regularly. Meet with other committees and church leaders when required or as circumstances suggest.
- File invoices as necessary, seeking opportunities where possible to improve efficiencies.
- Offer a welcoming presence to everyone you encounter.
- Find joy in creating new processes and systems.
- Be able to re-prioritize in real-time, driving results with a minimum of “noise.”
- Explore and implement time- and cost-efficient approaches to the varied responsibilities of this position so that the needs of the church are met.
- Comply with church Personnel Policies and Procedures.
- As you succeed and grow in the job, our leaders may find new challenges for you to explore along with us.
- Proven track record managing competing demands and people to achieve results through collaboration.
- Proven track record maintaining financial controls.
- You’re proficient in office software.
- You’re a quick learner, comfortable learning new methods and systems.
- You’re forward-leaning, embracing change. You relish the challenge of the unfamiliar.
- You view mistakes as an opportunity to learn.
- You’re a patient, effective motivator.
- You’re good at marshaling resources that aren’t under your control.
- You have solid interpersonal skills; you can make the complex simple.
- You may not like everyone you meet in life, but in this position, you need to love them all.
- You accept the value and beauty of being in a faith community and have no illusions that everything is perfect (it never is.)
- Using stairs and elevators
- Occasionally handling file boxes up to 50 pounds
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required