A note on the current state of our work environment: Destination: Home is open, and staff are considered essential workers. We adhere to all of Santa Clara County’s public health guidelines and regulations. Staff currently have the option to both work virtually and/or in the office. The office space is newly renovated and allows plenty of space for social distancing, and there are notices posted throughout about health and safety protocols, and Personal protective Equipment (PPE) is made available. Any changes to virtual or in person work policies will be based on local and state/federal guidance and will be communicated in advance.
ABOUT DESTINATION: HOME
Destination: Home, a 501(c)3 supporting organization of Silicon Valley Community Foundation is a public-private partnership serving as the backbone organization for collective impact strategies to end homelessness in Santa Clara County. Destination: Home drives and aligns resources to create permanent housing and sustainable support systems built for the long term. The organization is improving how systems work together to end homelessness, as well as protect individuals and families at risk of becoming homeless. To advance its mission to end homelessness, Destination: Home works to advance smart and impactful public policies, and initiate strategic communications in support of its work. Learn more at https://destinationhomesv.org.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
This is a full-time non-exempt level position in San Jose, California. Under the direction of the Director of Policy & Communications, this position will play a key role in helping advance Destination: Home’s strategic communications objectives.
● Write and edit a wide variety of communication materials (including: email newsletters, social media collateral, press releases, blogs, reports, letters and presentations).
● Implement the organization’s digital communications strategy leveraging existing and new digital marketing tools, including:
o Managing a robust calendar of proactive digital communications activities
o Monitoring traffic and engaging users on all platforms
o Informing and managing paid social campaigns, as applicable
o Tracking, analyzing, and improving on key metrics
o Maintaining constituent databases across multiple channels
● Design, draft and coordinate the production of multimedia content (i.e. print collateral, videos, infographics), with a focus on enhancing our library of storytelling assets to support digital communication strategies.
● Collaborate with other staff members to develop communication strategies and tactics that are targeted to an initiative’s unique needs.
● Coordinate Destination: Home involvement in events, including writing talking points, briefing participating staff, developing slide decks, and coordinating with event/panel discussion organizers.
● Assist with the implementation of the organization’s new brand guidelines, including the development of new materials, organizing collateral, and creating use protocol for colleagues.
● Assist other team members with media relations activities, including responding to incoming inquiries, scheduling interviews, arranging for photo/video requests, and tracking media hits.
● Experience: Minimum of 2 years of professional experience in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, and others closely related to the job duties listed above.
● Superb communicator, with the ability to express ideas clearly and concisely and exceptional writing and editing skills.
● A highly-organized individual who can effectively prioritize and manage multiple tasks with varying deadlines.
● Demonstrate a high degree of independence, integrity, responsibility and accountability.
● Hold a commitment to ending homelessness in our community and advocating for our most vulnerable residents.
● Familiarity with the current industry guidelines, analytics and best practices for all major communication platforms and mediums.
● Proficiency with a wide array of digital communication tools, including:
o All major social media platforms (including email marketing tools)
o Wordpress (or similar Website CMS platforms)
o Adobe Creative Suite, Canva (or similar graphic design programs)
o Microsoft Office and Google Suite
● Strong public speaking skills, with the ability to address complex and/or controversial topics on behalf of an organization.
● Fluency in Spanish, Vietnamese or another major language is desirable, but not required.
● Somebody who brings a flexible and creative approach to their work and can thrive in a fast-paced and constantly-shifting environment.
● A “people person” who has the ability to initiate, develop and maintain productive working relationships with the wide variety of stakeholders who are critical to the success of our work.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the incumbent in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AND INCLUSION
Silicon Valley Community Foundation has a deep commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that is representative of our community.
SVCF is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, political affiliation, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
SVCF is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process and to perform essential job functions, of employment, please contact email@example.com. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format and/or using specialized equipment.
A note on the current state of our work environment: Destination: Home is open, and staff are considered essential workers. We adhere to all of Santa Clara County’s public health guidelines and regulations. Staff currently have the option to…