100 University Avenue Southeast
Who We Are
United States of Care is seeking a State Affairs Director to join its growing team. The mission of United States of Care is to ensure that every single American has access to quality, affordable health care regardless of health status, social need, or income. A new non-partisan non-profit, we are building and mobilizing a movement to achieve long-lasting solutions that make health care better for everyone. United States of Care will help make it happen by working with Americans from across the country: patients and caregivers, advocates, physicians and other clinicians, policymakers, and business, civic, and religious leaders.
The State Affairs Director leads the execution of strategy for advancement of policies at the state level that seek to provide affordable health care to all Americans. The primary objective of this position is to work collaboratively with state legislators, executive branch officials, advocacy organizations, and other influencers to achieve the mission. A key part of this role is to leverage the collective expertise of an internal cross-departmental team, as well as a range of external advisors, to create and implement strategy for the organization’s engagement with states.
The State Affairs Director is entrepreneurial, collaborative, and passionate, with proven success as a leader and comfortable leading a growing staff. The State Affairs Director is highly self-motivated and creative, with the ability to work in a startup atmosphere with evolving and competing priorities. S/he helps build the organization from the ground up and is willing to pitch in on other duties as assigned.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Execute strategy for states to build scalable models of increasing access to affordable health care, sharing learning across states, and developing best practices;
- Take a primary leadership role in the management of one or more state engagements - handling day-to-day communications with partners, providing strategic advice and work plan development and oversight, and ensuring that the Senior Director of State Affairs and members of the leadership team are informed and involved as needed;
- Assist the Senior Director of State Affairs in communication with states, development and implementation of strategy, and creation of state-specific resources and events;
- Relationship building with state officials, both directly and through national organizations;
- Serve as an external spokesperson and expert for the organization with stakeholders, lawmakers, and media as appropriate;
- Identify opportunities for state technical assistance from Founder’s Council and other experts, and initiate and facilitate those communications when appropriate;
- Support and execute tracking and reporting against programmatic grants when necessary;
- Other duties as assigned. As a start-up organization, every team member plays an important role in cross-cutting work that may fall outside the specific purview of their position.
- Commitment to ensuring every American has access to affordable health care;
- Dedication to operating in a diverse, bipartisan, learning atmosphere exploring multiple policy solutions to achieve that mission;
- Experience working in or directing a state-based health care advocacy or policy campaign;
- Ability to plan strategically and work both independently and as a member of the team;
- Previous experience in a bipartisan or nonpartisan work environment preferred. USofC values having a diverse set of viewpoints on our team. Applicants of all party affiliations and backgrounds are encouraged to apply;
- Entrepreneurial individual with interest and ability to succeed in a fast-changing start-up atmosphere;
- Ability to take informed risks, step out of your comfort zone and embrace ambiguity. Use organization’s collective intelligence to solve problems, weigh outcomes, and take calculated risks;
- Willingness to respect different points of view and balance innovation and creativity with the ability to organize in order to get work done;
- Familiarity with current issues in health policy including coverage programs, delivery system reform, quality improvement, accessibility, and equity;
- Facility for building and maintaining positive, professional relationships with a wide range of stakeholders
- Ability to represent the organization, as needed, both verbally and in writing, in interactions with lawmakers, other organizations, and the public;
- Strong research and writing skills;
- Close attention to detail;
- Excellent time management skills and the capacity to proactively navigate multiple deadlines and competing priorities;
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s degree in public affairs, public administration, policy, public health, or a related field preferred;
- 7+ years experience in public affairs or health care policy at the state or federal level, ideally with service in a legislative or executive branch role;
- Ambitious thinking and exceptional work ethic.
Located in either Minneapolis, MN, or Washington, DC. Minneapolis preferred.
Interested candidates should email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “State Affairs Director” and your last name in the subject line.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a multicultural, diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply. We prohibit discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment based on gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran's status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Minimum Education Required