- Location: California
- Type: Full-time
CORE Districts is a nonprofit organization dedicated to raising student achievement through collaboration among eight California school districts. Additionally, CORE operates a data collaborative serving to close to one third of California’s students. Our work focuses on strengthening the collective efficacy in school systems and improving outcomes for students, especially those students that have been traditionally under served. CORE is at an exciting phase of development, and we are seeking a Data Strategies to support our CORE Data Collaborative (see https://coredistricts.org/our-work/improvement-communities/data-collaborative-community/).
Reporting to the Executive Director of the CORE Data Collaborative, the Data Strategist will work closely with CORE’s analytical partners (Education Analytics - see https://edanalytics.org/) - to manage the day to day operations of the CORE Data Collaborative.
We are seeking a proactive learner who is passionate about CORE’s mission, has analytical and project management experience in education,and who will thrive in our dynamic startup environment. The Data Strategist must effectively manage numerous responsibilities at a given time and be available for travel.
The Data Strategist will be responsible for the following:
Partner Management (50%)
- Collaboratively identify (district/county/charter management organization) partner needs, potential roadblocks and possible solutions with respect to data analysis, reporting and use;
- Identify opportunities for CORE to better serve our partners through innovation, efficiencies, and connections across various projects currently at CORE;
- Serve as the intermediary between Education Analytics (EA) and our school system partners to ensure timelines & expectations are met;
- Co-create written documentation and data visualizations with EA,, such as policy memos, reports, and presentations, that will be shared externally with partners (and on partner websites).
- Provide in person and virtual training on CORE’s analytics and data tools.
Project Management (25 - 35%)
- Facilitate internal and external meetings to drive work forward through in-person meetings, phone calls and video conference.
- Ensure project documentation is organized and thorough to foster organizational learning at CORE and EA as well as with our partners.
- Manage project timelines and deliverables.
- Support and innovate on internal systems and process development for the CORE data team.
Business Development (10-15%)
- Identify new partnerships, or find ways to deepen existing partnerships as needs arise.
- Manage the proposal creation and submission process for possible grant/RFP opportunities.
Other projects or duties as assigned.
Key Skills and Dispositions
- Ability to create new, and curate/improve existing measurement tools and processes for improvement. Specific experience in measurement in an improvement science context in education a plus.
- Knowledge of measurement in the context of education.
- Effective decision-making skills, including knowing when to act and when to check in with others.
- Ability to think strategically at the detail level, while keeping the big picture in mind.
- Willingness to initiate tasks at all levels of the organization when necessary.
- Attention to detail, ability to set, meet, and enforce deadlines, and ability to delegate appropriately.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and high level of comfort communicating one-on-one or in groups of both internal and external constituents.
- Able to work collaboratively and harmoniously in a team setting, while also being able to work independently and self-manage toward goals.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and willing to cope with and embrace uncertainty and change.
- Proficiency in using a range of technology and the ability to learn new technologies and software quickly.
- Experience coaching and training others.
- Willingness to travel.
Orientation to the Work
- An innovative mindset looking to push the boundaries of what is possible in education data use to support K-12 education.
- Willingness to continue to learn every day at work and to admit mistakes and step outside of your comfort zone.
- Ability to think strategically about complex issues as they arise, including weighing competing options and acknowledging the importance of context.
- Comfortable with both taking initiative and sharing responsibility in a team-based, collaborative environment at a fast-paced, fast-growing nonprofit.
- Customer-service and entrepreneurial orientation to working with partners that ensures that the CORE data team exceeds expectations.
Skills and Experience
- 2-3 years in managing projects in an education research organization or working for a state agency or school district or charter management organization in an administrative role related to data and analytics.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; master’s degree in public policy, business or comparable with training in statistics a plus.
- Familiarity with data analysis techniques used in education policy analysis AND/OR knowledge of analytic reporting and product development.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving and systems-thinking skills.
- Ability to create and foster internal and external relationships.
- ~30% of time spent traveling (mostly within California).
CORE will offer a competitive compensation package including base salary as well as health, 401(k), and vacation benefits.
Salary range: $80,000 to $105,000
CORE Districts is a collaboration of school districts working together to improve student achievement through highly productive, meaningful partnership and learning among member school districts. Currently, eight school districts serving more than 1 million students participate in the collaborative: Fresno, Garden Grove, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento, San Francisco, and Santa Ana Unified. Together, our districts share a fundamental belief that all students can achieve at high levels and are deeply committed to providing learning opportunities that will help them to do so. Organizationally, CORE Districts is a 501c3 nonprofit serving as a hub for this collaboration and supporting partnership and shared learning at the superintendent, central office, school leader, and teacher levels.
CORE Districts’ long-term goal is for all California students to have strong support, effective programming, and an educational community standing together by their side so that they can achieve and succeed in college and career. We are working toward this goal by supporting and facilitating inter- and intra-district collaboration to innovate, implement, and scale successful strategies and tools that help students succeed.
CORE’s Data Collaborative serves almost two million students across over fifty school systems in California.
For more information, please visit coredistricts.org.
Benefits package that includes a flexible vacation schedule as well as health, dental, vision coverage and 401(K) matching.
Minimum Education Required