About Lee Montessori Public Charter School
Lee Montessori is a public charter school in Northeast Washington, DC that currently serves children ages 3-10 in primary and elementary level Montessori classrooms. Our mission is to foster a lifetime love of learning and cultivate independence among DC schoolchildren. Our school will use the student-centered Montessori Method, an evidence-based approach to closing the opportunity gap. Lee Montessori PCS will create a peaceful, multi-age learning environment for public preschool and elementary-aged children that foster the physical, social, emotional, and academic growth and development of students and produces life-long learners. The school social and academic culture follows the rigorous standards for excellence as set forth by the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI).
School Social Worker Position Description
Under the direction of the Principal and the LICSW, the Social Worker will provide individual and small group counseling, support the social and emotional development of the whole school, collaborate with teachers and related service providers, and maintain necessary documentation as needed for IEPs and monitor progress on FBAs, and BIPs as needed. Clinical Supervision from LICSW included.
Provide counseling to students in 1:1 and small group settings for the purposes of:
- Meeting IEP-mandates, meeting goals of students referred through the Child Study Team
- Supporting students with short term crisis intervention
- Increasing social skills, anger management, self-esteem, and conflict resolution, and
- Ultimately, improving classroom performance
Coordination of Services
- Attend IEP and Child Study Team meetings accordingly
- Maintain Social Service Resource List and Referrals
- Ensure completion of paperwork required for the delivery of services, such as creation of IEP goals and objectives, progress notes, Medicaid reimbursement forms, social histories, and psychological evaluations
- Oversee and monitor functional behavioral assessments (FBAs) and behavior intervention plans (BIPs) in collaboration with behavioral and instructional staff
- Maintain a working knowledge of community resources available to students and families and refer students and families as appropriate
- Act as the Homeless Liaison, this includes collecting and distributing items from the food pantry and clothing closet.
Leadership and Family Engagement
- Serve as advocate for parents and families in need
- Conduct home visits when necessary
- Co-facilitate parent and family workshops
- Co-facilitate teacher professional development workshops
- Communicate clearly and regularly with families
- Work alongside teachers and students to develop the social skills and work habits to achieve academically
- Meet with teachers regularly to discuss counseling case reviews, behavior plan progress, social emotional curriculum planning as well as other concerns
- Collaborate with outside agencies to share information and ensure creation of seamless service delivery plans for students
- Strong commitment to upholding the mission of the school.
- Master’s in social work, counseling, psychology or related field required, LGSW preferred
- Experience working as a school counselor or social worker in school-based settings, preferably in an urban setting
- Ability to collaborate with families, school staff, and the community
Compensation and Benefits
Lee Montessori PCS offers an extremely competitive compensation and benefits package.
Minimum Education Required