Full Time Contract
801 East 156th Street
ENGLISH TEACHER – HIRING NOW
2018-19 School Year
The South Bronx Early College Academy opened its doors to 110 6th grade students in September 2015. As we continue to add to our team of teacher leaders who will work collaboratively to develop an engaging and challenging project-based curriculum that includes art, computer science, and music as core subjects with literature, mathematics, science, and social studies. We are seeking a teacher who can provide leadership in the study of literature and the practice of effective communication. The study of literature provides opportunities for self-exploration, and deep understanding of the individual, society, and the human condition across time and cultures. Writing as an act of thinking and self-expression provides a pivotal site for adolescents discovering themselves in relation to the world. Writing as a way of communicating ideas and interacting with others is fundamental to work across all the disciplines. We seek a teacher who embraces the challenge of helping students develop in these areas.
The duties and responsibilities of the English Teacher include the following:
- Design and implement units of study using project-based learning principles to engage students in developing the ways of knowing and communicating that constitute understanding in the field of literature,
- Understand the individual needs of each student and design instruction that addresses these needs,
- Meet and engage with 10-12 students as their advisory group leader and primary advocate – monitoring progress, supporting development, communicating with parents, and addressing issues in school and the community through guided discussions,
- Work closely with the professional community, eliciting expertise and support for student learning from fellow subject area teachers, reading and special education teachers, social workers, parent liaison, higher education partners, and others as needed, and
- Collaborate with NYC higher education institutions to mentor teacher candidates in ways that complement other teaching responsibilities, advance student learning, and provide guidance and developmental opportunities for future teachers.
We are committed to hiring high-quality teachers who meet the following qualifications:
- Experience helping urban students succeed in school,
- A focus on the individual student as learner,
- Deep expertise and passion for their subject,
- The ability to create authentic challenging experiences for learners,
- Knowledge of how learning happens and is best achieved,
- The ability to work collaboratively with others,
- NYS Certification in subject area or comparable certification.
- A desire to create a leading mode of educational practice as a member of an innovative faculty collaborative.
NOTE to Current NYC Teachers:
- Salary will continue at the next appropriate step on the NYCDOE salary schedule, including an additional percentage increase, and all NYCTRS benefits will continue unabridged.
- You are eligible for a leave of up to three years from your current teaching position “without the loss of any right of certification, retirement, seniority, salary status or any other benefit provided by law or by collective bargaining agreement.” As per NYS Charter Schools Act S 2854, 3 (c) and (d).
Applications will be accepted until positions are filled; interviews and hiring will be carried out on a rolling basis. Salaries will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Please submit a letter of interest, current CV, statement of teaching philosophy, and a list of three references to SBECA – Teaching Position by email to email@example.com or to 801 East 156th , Bronx, NY 10455. SBECA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from individuals who contribute to its diversity EOE.
Minimum Education Required