3250 SW Third Ave
Our vision is that all motivated, under-resourced students of Miami-Dade County will have access to excellent educational resources, graduate from high school and attend college.
Breakthrough Miami provides an award-winning, eight-year, tuition-free academic enrichment program that uses a students-teaching-students model to make that vision a reality. We serve 1,300 high-potential, 5th through 12th grade students from across the county in our six-week Summer Institute and school-year programs, which take place on the campuses of top independent schools and at the University of Miami. We engage outstanding high-school seniors and college students in a summer teaching fellowship that has been rated by The Princeton Review as a top-10 service learning experience.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Director will craft and facilitate the Breakthrough Miami’s Teaching Fellow experience. The Director is responsible for recruitment, preparation, support and evaluation of Teaching Fellows, including 50 designated AmeriCorps Members. The Director will have primary operational oversight of Breakthrough Miami’s AmeriCorps grant and deliver AmeriCorps program activities that align with best practices in the field of youth development, education, and college readiness. The Director will cultivate a working relationship with Fellows to understand their goals and aspirations, support their development, foster a peer network amongst fellows, and facilitate continued engagement with Breakthrough and/or participation in the education sector professionally or otherwise.
The Teaching Fellowship provides experiences and pathways into the education sector for young adults nationally and critical to the delivery of Breakthrough Miami’s near peer teaching model. The Director will be responsible for creating an impactful experience for both the fellows and students. The position will also lead Breakthrough Miami’s volunteer program.
- Oversee operation of Breakthrough Miami’s AmeriCorps grant
- Lead recruitment process for Teaching Fellows, including AmeriCorps members
- Develop and lead orientation and onboarding for Teaching Fellows including AmeriCorps required trainings
- Design and lead engagement activities for Teaching Fellows and volunteers
- Oversee Teaching Fellow payroll timesheet process and assure accuracy of information; monitor for completion of required hours and create corrective action plans as needed
- Manage grant financials in collaboration with Business Manager and Accountant
- Oversee evaluation process for Teaching Fellows including AmeriCorps progress reports
- Create monthly and quarterly reports as required by AmeriCorps grant
- Design and execute a volunteer program which includes recruiting, onboarding and evaluation as well as documentation of volunteer attendance and hours
- Perform other duties that may be assigned
Dependable and regular attendance, evening and weekend work are required to fulfill the expectations of the role.
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 5 - 7 years’ experience in education or other relevant setting.
- Management and program administration experience in an educational setting
- Experience working with young adults, adolescents and families.
- Demonstrated success in:
- results-oriented management, developing and executing systems to ensure accountability
- understanding, managing and building key relationships
- crisis/contingency planning and effective execution in the face of the unexpected
Skills, knowledge and abilities
- Ability to:
- collect, report, analyze and use data as management tool
- meet deadlines and act with urgency
- take initiative, identify needs and implement solutions
- multi-task, handle multiple projects simultaneously and manage a dynamic work schedule
- support staffing, budgeting, data analysis and other management and operations responsibilities
- effectively lead teams
- Excellent public speaking, writing, and interpersonal communication
- Ability to be effective ambassador for BTM mission, vision and values
- Ability to create an environment of learning and continuous improvement
- Digital proficiency
- Detail oriented
- Operate effectively in diverse environments
- Able to achieve outcomes in flexible, fast-paced environment.
- Understanding of complex federal grant compliance
- Familiarity with Miami-Dade Public Schools
Breakthrough Miami operates in a rapidly changing education and community environment. This job description is a summary, not a contract.
Minimum Education Required