KIDS IN NEED OF DEFENSE (KIND)
SENIOR PRO BONO COORDINATING ATTORNEY POSITION
Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is an innovative partnership among the Microsoft Corporation, Angelina Jolie and other interested philanthropists, law firms and corporate supporters. As the leading national organization that works to ensure that no refugee or immigrant child faces immigration court alone, KIND is dedicated to providing pro bono representation as well as positive systemic change in both law and policy to improve the protection of unaccompanied immigrant and refugee children. KIND also engages in programming in Central America and Mexico to promote the best interests and protection of migrant children throughout the region. Launched in fall 2008, KIND is headquartered in Washington, DC and has 10 field offices across the United States.
KIND seeks a Senior Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney in KIND’s New York field office to help develop, maintain, and oversee the provision of pro bono legal representation to unaccompanied children through KIND’s network of major law firms, corporate partners, and law schools. The Senior Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney will supervise attorneys and/or support staff within KIND’s New York office; and recruit, train and advise volunteer firm and corporate attorneys to ensure effective pro bono representation of individual child clients before immigration and state courts, and immigration agencies. The Senior Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney will also conduct outreach to law firms, corporate partners and other organizations within the New York community.
EDUCATIONAL & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
At least four years of experience practicing immigration law and admission to practice law, preferably in the state of New York.
- At least four years of experience practicing immigration law, which should include representation of clients in humanitarian immigration claims such as asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, U visas and T visas;
- Family law experience a plus;
- Experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children, or experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma;
- A strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills;
- An understanding of the private law firm and corporate pro bono culture and the ability to be a well-respected and effective representative of the program to all stakeholders;
- Supervisory experience, preferably in legal setting;
- Mentoring and training experience;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent professional judgment;
- Ability to hit the ground working, multi-task, and work independently;
- Ability to work collaboratively; and
- Spanish speaking preferred.
Commensurate with education and experience.
Managing Attorney – New York office
Lead New York pro bono team and oversee team of Pro Bono Coordinating Attorneys (4 direct reports)
Responsibilities of the Senior Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervise attorneys and/or support staff in KIND’s New York office, in consultation with the Managing Attorney.
- Match child clients with pro bono attorneys;
- Recruit, train, and advise pro bono attorneys representing unaccompanied children in immigration matters and related family law matters;
- Develop and maintain updated guidance materials, sample filings, and legal training presentations;
- Foster and manage KIND relationships with law firms and corporate counsel in coordination with the Director of Pro Bono Recruitment and Training;
- Assist in office operations, including case management, data entry and maintenance, and reports;
- Collaborate with KIND management in support of KIND’s mission; and
- Participate in conferences, meetings, and trainings as needed.
- Represent KIND at local stakeholder meetings
Work is generally performed within the office environment, and includes significant telephone contact with pro bono attorneys.
This position may have occasional travel.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications, including a cover letter, resume, salary requirement, writing sample and contact information for three professional references, should be submitted online at: https://supportkind.org/jobs/. Applications that do not contain all of the above-listed required materials will not be considered.
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible and will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants selected for interviews will be duly notified. Please no inquiries or phone calls.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work. The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.