United Administrator of Oakland School (UAOS) is seeking two part-time knowledgeable, strategic, and adaptive leaders to serve as Co-Executive Directors to help lead the UAOS into the future. Executive Directors collaborate in the management of day to day operations for UAOS, manage UAOS member relations, and act as a lead collective bargaining representative for the union of classified and certificated supervisory (administrators) employees within the Oakland Unified School District (“District”), as so directed by the UAOS Executive Council. This position reports directly to the President of UAOS. (During government shelter-in-place mandates, this position can be executed remotely and at a safe office space.)
- Support and provide representation to Elementary School, Middle School, High School, Classified, and Special Education administrators. Attending meetings, as needed, or per semester minimally, gathering common concerns, formal grievances, and issues relating to unit members working conditions.
- Engage and build relationships with union members by helping navigate work-related issues that require union support. Increase UAOS membership, fundraising goals and events, and bylaws are followed.
- Facilitate all UAOS sponsored activities, fundraising activities, and related committee meetings, as needed to increase membership.
- Support staff development within UAOS.
- Ensure that UAOS membership remains active and in good standing with historic affiliations: AFSA (American Federation of School Administrators, CAUSA (California Urban School Administrators), California Central Labor Council, Alameda Labor Council, and the AFL-CIO.
- Process employee grievances under the governing Collective Bargaining Agreement (hereinafter “CBA”) and in generally overseeing the implementation of, and compliance with, the CBA. When assigned by the UAOS President, and as needed, serve as UAOS’ spokesperson on issues of general interest to the UAOS executive council and members.
- Co-lead and record the negotiation of UAOS’ CBA and amendments.
Communication and Convenings
- Maintain confidentiality of UAOS’ member concerns, contracts, and contacts, provide miscellaneous support services to UAOS members.
- Draft UAOS correspondence, press releases, and other appropriate communications.
- Prepare for and attend any and all UAOS meetings and prioritizing meeting agenda items.
- Prepare reports for UAOS Directors and membership.
- Work closely with UAOS leadership in preparing informational brochures and formal dues authorization forms for the recruitment of new UAOS members.
- Attend all regularly scheduled meetings of the District Governing Board (“Governing Board meetings”). Coordinate from UAOS membership at all Governing Board meetings and represent UAOS, UAOS’ members, and UAOS’ Executive Council in an appropriate context at said Governing Board meetings and elsewhere throughout the District.
- Co-create content, publication, coordination, distribution of UAOS' regularly composed newsletter and surveys.
- Work closely with executive council officers to ensure all monthly invoices are signed and paid on time. Work directly with the union bookkeeper to reconcile all monthly transactions to present a profit and loss statement for monthly UAOS board meetings and all other duties as assigned by the UAOS President or the UAOS executive council.
- Assist in preparation of UAOS' annual budget in the format approved by the UAOS Leadership. Co-Executive Director makes recommendations, collects, and provides artifacts/financial data in response to UAOS executive council inquiries concerning the UAOS’ budget and operations. Co-Executive Directors will help develop the annual budget by working with the President and budget committee.
- Assist the UAOS Treasurer in compiling budget reports and tax returns for UAOS, including work with UAOS accountants/financial consultants to ensure that UAOS accounts/financial consultants have the necessary information for reporting purposes.
- Assist UAOS' legal counsel in matters of UAOS operations, business, due process rights, grievances, litigation, administrative hearings, labor grievances, and related legal matters.
- Ensure that UAOS maintains appropriate insurance coverages, including Workers Compensation coverage (as appropriate), and coverage for the UAOS’ real property, rental property, office equipment, as well as general liability coverage.
- Manage UAOS administrative support staff, union budget, and finances. Administer the business of UAOS to supervise, coach, and evaluate personnel and maintaining the office, and all records and files.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education/Education Administration, Public Administration, Organizational Development, Human Resources, and/or related field experience required.
- Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant, and direct experience may be considered in lieu of the minimum educational/experience requirements indicated above.
- Employs project manager level standards to manage strategic goals including strong capabilities in reporting, metrics and insights.
- Manage several priorities/projects with poise and professionalism, can close on deliverable with the timeline and on budget.
- Demonstrates flexibility and the ability to effectively manage changes in scope, timelines, and priorities and build successful partnerships through influence and character.
- Handle confidential and sensitive information without reaction or judgment, while demonstrating experience in safeguarding the same.
- Possess strong collaboration, negotiation, and advocacy skills with partners, internal and external.
Compensation and Application Requirements Each Co-Executive Director will receive competitive compensation for this part-time position in the amount of $50K, annually. This position carries an average of 25 hours per week for 44 weeks “11 months” with payments disbursed over 12 months. These positions are hired and managed by the UAOS Executive Council. The Co-Executive Directors position is an excellent opportunity for retired or former school administrators. Please remit a complete applicant package: resume (with related experience), cover letter, and professional references. Incomplete applicant packages will not be reviewed. Not all applicants will be invited to complete the interview process. Email a complete application package and In the subject line please write: your name.UAOS.ED (e.g. LamarGarcia.UAOS.ED) -Position inquiry phone calls and emails to the UAOS office are not permitted. *Application submission deadline: March 31, 2021, or until positions are filled.