Youth Program Middle School English Tutor (part time, 10 months)
- Job posted by Canal Alliance - Marin, California
Details: Compensation is commensurate with experience.
91 Larkspur St.
About the Organization
For more than three decades Canal Alliance has been the leading service provider and community advocate for Marin's low-income, Spanish speaking immigrants. Canal Alliance helps vulnerable members of this target population acquire the tools they need to thrive.
Canal Alliance University Prep (UP!) is a college readiness and success, after-school program designed to support students in their journey to enroll in and graduate from a 4 year university. We provide weekly tutoring, advisory class, academic workshops, daily homework help, counseling, college scholarships, and family support services.
The Middle School English Tutor collaborates with a team of professionals to provide wrap-around support for approximately 30 youth on their path toward college completion. A successful candidate will be a passionate believer in the power of education to improve the lives of immigrant youth and their families.
Specifically, the English Tutor is responsible for providing 1 on 1 or small group tutoring, student progress monitoring, and goal setting, as well as teaching two English workshops a week. Candidates should have the ability to work Tuesdays and Wednesdays 2:30-6:45pm and Thursdays 2-5:15pm (11.75 hrs/wk).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide tutoring in high school English
- Maintain tutoring session notes using Salesforce
- Plan for and teach a small group English workshop
- Assess student learning and monitor progress
- Conduct regular goal setting meetings with students
- Modify instructional program of individual students based on student data
- Build positive and respectful relationships with students
- Communicate consistently and assist in identifying needs of students
- Participate in a weekly staff meeting
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and ability required.
- Effective tutoring skills
- Strong English (reading and writing) content knowledge
- Ability to effectively communicate information both verbally and in writing
- Ability to establish cooperative working relationships with staff, students, and volunteers
- Ability to function with minimal supervision, follow directions, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
Canal Alliance Equity and Inclusion Statement
Canal Alliance actively promotes and recognizes principles of fairness, equity, and social justice in relation to, and across, intersections of race, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, disability, ancestry and all other identities represented among our diverse employees.
By appreciating the importance of inclusion, we acknowledge that the collective and individual talents, skills, and perspectives of our staff foster a culture of belonging, safety, collaborative practice, innovation, and mutual respect.
Canal Alliance is committed to the transformation of attitudes and systems that deprive any person or group of these principals.
Level of Language Proficiency
Education and Experience Requirements
- Minimum 1 year middle or high school tutoring/teaching experience
- Bachelor’s Degree, or working towards a degree
- Computer experience
- Experience working with Latino, immigrant or low income communities (preferred)
- Experience working with English language learners (preferred)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to. Only electronic applications will be accepted. (Keep it green!) Please indicate “MS English Tutor – YOUR NAME” in the subject line of your email.